The Student Room Group

"Selling your soul"- What does is actually mean?

I'm curious, I have heard the phrase so many times. Bankers apparently should "leave their soul at the door" and another example would be The Weeknd, he writes songs about how he is "Selling his soul to the music industry" and obviously the most commonly heard one is "Selling your soul to the devil".:lolwut:

But what does "Selling your soul" actually entail? :s-smilie: is it a terrible thing? would you do it? does it just happen? :/

Questioning life at the moment, help me out!:h:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Like losing your morals,selling yourself to the devil,you're asking to be manipulated easily
Reply 2
when you join the illuminati
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I'm curious, I have heard the phrase so many times. Bankers apparently should "leave their soul at the door" and another example would be The Weeknd, he writes songs about how he is "Selling his soul to the music industry" and obviously the most commonly heard one is "Selling your soul to the devil".:lolwut:

But what does "Selling your soul" actually entail? :s-smilie: is it a terrible thing? would you do it? does it just happen? :/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faust
Original post by Daniellaaa
Like losing your morals,selling yourself to the devil,you're asking to be manipulated easily

Right, so it's purposefully done?

Ah thank you! :clap2:
Reply 6

Yeah you give your soul in exchange for money or fame

In exchange for material things
Ah thank you! :clap2:

You're welcome. Make sure you don't do it...
Is this stuff even real?
Reply 10

Giving away your soul, typically to the Devil, in exchange for something.

It is generally seen as a terrible thing to do and it typically backfires.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z33
Yeah you give your soul in exchange for money or fame

Original post by Daniellaaa
In exchange for material things

Okay I get it now, so lose all your morals and gain material things. Right!

The things that confuses me bit though is, everyone has different morals don't they? Or is it the basic of christian morals? I'm guessing this saying was derived from christianity, although I can't be sure. :s-smilie:

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You're welcome. Make sure you don't do it...

Lol I won't :rofl:

This is an interesting read, I haven't quite got to the end yet, what happened to him? was his soul eternally damned? :eek:
Morality< Money

prolly this
Original post by rajneetk
Is this stuff even real?

If your religious, I suppose it is. :redface:
Reply 14
If you YouTube it you will be shocked to hear about the famous singers who have sold their soul to the devil !!!!
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Morality< Money

prolly this

I think I need a better understanding of "morality" before I can actually understand this phrase. Like where do our morals even come from?
Okay I get it now, so lose all your morals and gain material things. Right!

The things that confuses me bit though is, everyone has different morals don't they? Or is it the basic of christian morals? I'm guessing this saying was derived from christianity, although I can't be sure. :s-smilie:

Lol I won't :rofl:

This is an interesting read, I haven't quite got to the end yet, what happened to him? was his soul eternally damned? :eek:

He gets dragged off to Hell and eternal damnation. It's a morality tale - beware of bargains with a sting in the tail.
Omg I just realised something. :eek:

The guy that appears in the Weeknd's videos is the devil making a deal. :eek: Mind blown

And I think I'm right :O

[video="youtube;YwVbWarque0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwVbWarque0[/video]
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
He gets dragged off to Hell and eternal damnation. It's a morality tale - beware of bargains with a sting in the tail.

So no chance of redemption. Interesting!
Okay I'm creeping myself out now...so back to my work :redface: XD

Quick Reply

Latest