The Student Room Group

"Selling your soul"- What does is actually mean?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
So no chance of redemption. Interesting!

Some versions of the story have a redemption, but most versions have angels/concerned friends pleading with him to repent to save his soul, but he rejects them, bringing it on himself. There's a lot made of the way in which he wastes the powers he has been given by the devil by just playing tricks and doing stupid things when he could have saved the world. It's a story full of warnings.
If your religious, I suppose it is. :redface:

It seems scary :s-smilie:
I think I need a better understanding of "morality" before I can actually understand this phrase. Like where do our morals even come from?

Upbringing mainly
Reply 23
Original post by batoot
when you join the illuminati

Do you even know who they are?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Upbringing mainly

Not always, some people have great upbringings but mess up late in life....
Reply 25
Original post by SSUCL
Do you even know who they are?

Posted from TSR Mobile

not really im just BSing
Original post by rajneetk
It seems scary :s-smilie:

Lol I know XD I feel the same :redface:
Not always, some people have great upbringings but mess up late in life....

You asked where they come from :l , pretty sure upbringing and early life experiences lay the foundations for morality. Of course later on other stuff can change this , :L
You asked where they come from :l , pretty sure upbringing and early life experiences lay the foundations for morality. Of course later on other stuff can change this , :L

No I meant originally, like where do morals come from, religion? it seems that way...
Reply 29
Its veerrrrrry shady business basically idk how to explain it. Very controversial topic dude for a Sunday :hand:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I meant originally, like where do morals come from, religion? it seems that way...

That's a good question :O

Back in the day , and i mean waaay back they probably relyed more on instinct rather than morals. idek might research this , piqued my interest :O
Original post by SSUCL
Its veerrrrrry shady business basically idk how to explain it. Very controversial topic dude for a Sunday :hand:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry, I hope you went to church earlier! :tongue:
I am a fellow soul-seller. AmA!
I'm curious, I have heard the phrase so many times. Bankers apparently should "leave their soul at the door" and another example would be The Weeknd, he writes songs about how he is "Selling his soul to the music industry" and obviously the most commonly heard one is "Selling your soul to the devil".:lolwut:

But what does "Selling your soul" actually entail? :s-smilie: is it a terrible thing? would you do it? does it just happen? :/

Questioning life at the moment, help me out!:h:

Read/watch Dr Faustus by Christopher Marlowe
That's a good question :O

Back in the day , and i mean waaay back they probably relyed more on instinct rather than morals. idek might research this , piqued my interest :O

Lol mine too. :tongue: My mind wanders when it should be revising something completely different... XD I'm going to fail my exams because of my overly excited brain, and tsr :redface:

Yeah that could be true, it's just that if religion was the core of everything and now it isn't, why do we still have moral values? Y'know. Why is it wrong to kill someone if our legal system isn't based on religion (more so christianity) anymore? I don't know, if everything was once ruled upon religion, and now a lot institutions have separated themselves from religion then why do we still uphold those values as a society?

Obviously it's wrong to kill someone, but why? like if your an atheist, you'renot really going to believe your should will be eternally damned and in need of redemption, now are you? maybe it is instinct in this case.

I think there is a lot more to this obviously.We are just touching the surface I suppose. XD

Oh dear, I need to go back to my work :frown:
It means being a Lady Gaga fanatic.
Original post by connieiscrazy
Read/watch Dr Faustus by Christopher Marlowe

I am going too, it sounds very interesting, I will probably read + watch it in the February half term :h:
It's figurative :smile:
You aren't exactly selling your soul but rather exchanging your morals for material possessions. It always back fires because they say when you make a deal with the devil it's never for free and you'll always lose something dear to you in the end.

And by 'morals' I mean the things you personally judge to be good or bad. It doesn't have to be based on religion.

For example; I need some money really badly (maybe to afford and addiction of mine or for material possesions) and so I decide to sell my body (prostitution) even though I strongly disagree with the notion of it and I find it degrading. But I get paid for it.
Let's say in the future I fall in love with someone but that person doesn't want to be with me becasue of my past. That's when it really backfires.

Another example; I'm an up and coming musician who's struggling a bit and the opportunity to do nude modeling comes along and I take it in order to boost my publicity even though normally I'm strongly against that kind of thing and would rather be famous for my talents rather than for my body. In the end no one even cares about my music but about my nudes etc.

Those are examples of 'selling your soul'
It's pretty much going against all that you stand for as a person in order to acquire cheap gains.
Sorry if I've completely confused you :redface:
I am going too, it sounds very interesting, I will probably read + watch it in the February half term :h:

I'm studying it for English A2 right now and it's soooo interesting
Original post by BobbyFlay
I am a fellow soul-seller. AmA!

And why do you say that? why have you sold your soul? what have you done? :curious:

Quick Reply

Latest