Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Selling your soul"- What does is actually mean? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by connieiscrazy)
    I'm studying it for English A2 right now and it's soooo interesting
    Lucky you, I'm not....

Lol I'm doing Wuthering heights....Do you think Heathcliff sold his soul to the devil? XD XD
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Actually I know I just said that as a joke, but it's a possibility :eek: He comes back 3 years later with huge amounts of wealth...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Lucky you, I'm not....

Lol I'm doing Wuthering heights....Do you think Heathcliff sold his soul to the devil? XD XD
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Actually I know I just said that as a joke, but it's a possibility :eek: He comes back 3 years later with huge amounts of wealth...
    Haha I'm doing Wuthering Heights too (and Frankenstein), but tbh I really don't like it... I just find it convoluted, confusing, and dull. I don't think Heathcliff sold his soul, I do believe that he is innately good underneath his devilish exterior

ReputationRep:
    Haha I'm doing Wuthering Heights too (and Frankenstein), but tbh I really don't like it... I just find it convoluted, confusing, and dull. I don't think Heathcliff sold his soul, I do believe that he is innately good underneath his devilish exterior
    Is Dr Faustas also for the exam?

No, you're crazyyyy gurlll. He is literally the devil. Such an evil man. :eek:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    And sexy

ReputationRep:
    And why do you say that? why have you sold your soul? what have you done? :curious:
    Indeed I have.
    I was lonely one day after my parents got divorced back in 1820. So I made a pact with my lord and savior Satan. He smells nice btw, like charcoal.

ReputationRep:
    Is Dr Faustas also for the exam?

No, you're crazyyyy gurlll. He is literally the devil. Such an evil man. :eek:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    And sexy
    Yeah - WH, Frankenstein and Dr F are all for the exam

I think nature v nurture has a lot to do with how Heathcliff is, and I believe it's mostly down to the latter - I mean, come on, he was treated so badly as a kid and the love of his life broke his heart, that's bound to f you up (much Gothic, very angst)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't find him that sexy lmao sue me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajneetk)
    Is this stuff even real?
    It's often used metaphorically - where someone abandons their values and/or morals for money. AKA 'selling out'.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - WH, Frankenstein and Dr F are all for the exam

I think nature v nurture has a lot to do with how Heathcliff is, and I believe it's mostly down to the latter - I mean, come on, he was treated so badly as a kid and the love of his life broke his heart, that's bound to f you up (much Gothic, very angst)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't find him that sexy lmao sue me
    Is there a Dr F question in the exam? I might ask my teacher if I can read it and annotate it myself...I mean it intrigues me more than our other text (the bloody chamber ). I might read it as an extra text, is it very long?

I don't know about Heathcliff, I agree it is Nature Vs Nurture, Heathcliff has always been SUCH an isolated character, even as a child, and that makes me think that his confinement in himself is the reason why he developed such an angry evil nature, he forgot how to "feel". I don't know, Heathcliff confuses me. Maybe he did sell his soul, he comes back much more evil. But the again he is forever being called the devil and he is never "pure" in the beginning, if anyone sold their soul to the devil, it would be Cathy.

He is sexy, I just love the mystery that surrounds him, I find that sexy XD only in literature though....XD

I've always thought it meant when you give a large amount of dedication and time to something or someone you don't consider worthy:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Is there a Dr F question in the exam? I might ask my teacher if I can read it and annotate it myself...I mean it intrigues me more than our other text (the bloody chamber ). I might read it as an extra text, is it very long?

I don't know about Heathcliff, I agree it is Nature Vs Nurture, Heathcliff has always been SUCH an isolated character, even as a child, and that makes me think that his confinement in himself is the reason why he developed such an angry evil nature, he forgot how to "feel". I don't know, Heathcliff confuses me. Maybe he did sell his soul, he comes back much more evil. But the again he is forever being called the devil and he is never "pure" in the beginning, if anyone sold their soul to the devil, it would be Cathy.

He is sexy, I just love the mystery that surrounds him, I find that sexy XD only in literature though....XD
    There will be a question, yes. It's not very long at all, so it would do no harm to read it and use it as extra reading. God, I hate the Bloody Chamber... :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    There will be a question, yes. It's not very long at all, so it would do no harm to read it and use it as extra reading. God, I hate the Bloody Chamber... :unimpressed:
    Lol are you doing that aswell?

Are doing Dracula and Jane Eyre as extra reading as well?

I was also thinking of doing The Castle of Ontranto....but my brain might explode...

would you do it?
    It depends on what's being offered in exchange for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    It depends on what's being offered in exchange for it.
    Hmmmm....I'm not going to lie, I agree...maybe that's because I truly don't believe in a heaven/hell.

What would be it be for you? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawbAri)
    It's figurative
    You aren't exactly selling your soul but rather exchanging your morals for material possessions. It always back fires because they say when you make a deal with the devil it's never for free and you'll always lose something dear to you in the end.

And by 'morals' I mean the things you personally judge to be good or bad. It doesn't have to be based on religion.

For example; I need some money really badly (maybe to afford and addiction of mine or for material possesions) and so I decide to sell my body (prostitution) even though I strongly disagree with the notion of it and I find it degrading. But I get paid for it.
    Let's say in the future I fall in love with someone but that person doesn't want to be with me becasue of my past. That's when it really backfires.

Another example; I'm an up and coming musician who's struggling a bit and the opportunity to do nude modeling comes along and I take it in order to boost my publicity even though normally I'm strongly against that kind of thing and would rather be famous for my talents rather than for my body. In the end no one even cares about my music but about my nudes etc.

Those are examples of 'selling your soul'
    It's pretty much going against all that you stand for as a person in order to acquire cheap gains.
    Sorry if I've completely confused you
    Yes this is sort of the stuff I was thinking, well at least in our contemporary society. But I'm just curious as to why nudity would be bad, y'know? are our reasons still linked to religion even if we don't believe in it. Like for example, I'm an atheist but I think prostitution is degrading as well, but why do I believe that? For "moral reasons", but are those morals derived from religion without us really noticing...hmmmm

Hmmmm....I'm not going to lie, I agree...maybe that's because I truly don't believe in a heaven/hell.

What would be it be for you? :curious:
    A substantial sum of money. I'd consider it the other person's loss because he will have paid me for something that doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    A substantial sum of money. I'd consider it the other person's loss because he will have paid me for something that doesn't exist.
    But how can you be so sure?

I think we are our own Devil's tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    He gets dragged off to Hell and eternal damnation. It's a morality tale - beware of bargains with a sting in the tail.
    i have a summer internship with your old dreaded firm, but not in audit, in consulting. any tips?

But how can you be so sure?

I think we are our own Devil's tbh.
    Well, the only evidence ever presented for the numinous or the supernatural is personal. If it follows from that it can only be said to exist if you can feel it personally, then it doesn't exist for me. I've never felt any form of spiritual presence. It's obviously not a state of complete certainty, but it's as close as I can get to it so, for all intents and purposes, it doesn't exist.

What do you mean by that second comment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welcometoib)
    i have a summer internship with your old dreaded firm, but not in audit, in consulting. any tips?
    None in the least. It's been a generation since I worked there and I have no idea what they require of you nowadays. Interesting that you should be on a thread about selling your soul, though, since that might help....

ReputationRep:
    Well, the only evidence ever presented for the numinous or the supernatural is personal. If it follows from that that it only be said to exist if you can feel it personally, then it doesn't exist for me. I've never felt any form of spiritual presence. It's obviously not a state of complete certainty, but it's as close as I can get to it so, for all intents and purposes, it doesn't exist.

What do you mean by that second comment?
    Lol I agree. I don't always need (I do need it most of the time) solid evidence to believe in something, or have faith in something, but for the existence of God I really do.

Because I feel like we all have potential for corruption. We can all do bad things and we all definitely are tempted to do them often. It's not exactly the "vices" that are bad (sex, money, alcohol, sloth) it's our need (or excessive need) that can be damaging. We are our own Devils in the sense that we have the potential to ruin ourselves. That's what I mean.

So that isn't a depressing thought at all...

ReputationRep:
    Sold my soul to my exam board so I could get the grades to apply to uni

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.