Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Selling your soul"- What does is actually mean? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Sold my soul to my exam board so I could get the grades to apply to uni
    I'm in the midst of doing that right now, my brain hurts from the amount I have typed these past few days and I'm no where near done. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    http://vigilantcitizen.com/musicbusi...-tell-friends/
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Omg I just realised something. :eek:

The guy that appears in the Weeknd's videos is the devil making a deal. :eek: Mind blown

And I think I'm right :O

I suggest reading this. The weeknd's triology isn't in exact order but it's all related to his fame/ selling is soul etc.

ReputationRep:
    The real question is: what does 'selling your soul' mean for a ginger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by howtobealady)

I suggest reading this. The weeknd's triology isn't in exact order but it's all related to his fame/ selling is soul etc.

Thank you that was a really interesting read, I didn't realise there was so much biblical reference in his stuff. I think he is AMAZING, his stuff blows my mind to be honest. It's so creative. The apple thing was crazy.

When I first realised everything in his Trilogy Album was linked, my mind was blown.

His lyrics are awful and disgusting, but juxtaposed by the most beautiful sounding melody makes you want to listen to it (that in itself is amazing).

He is just amazing, his work is amazing! :heart:

ReputationRep:
    Good thread ! Kudos to TheOnlyMrsHolmes too for questioning morals and this kind of stuff at this stage of life.

"Selling your soul" is about "giving in" to the "dark side" if you like and taking some kind of reward in exchange. It's not always a material thing but very often is. At its heart this is really about your inner sense of right and wrong, about what you instinctively feel deep down is good or bad. As you go through life you will stray both sides of the middle line, sometimes good sometimes bad.

What counts is standing up for what you "know" to be right instead of giving in and taking the easy way out. For example, getting on in the typical conditioned social stream of life, getting education, getting a job, getting a better job, buying a house etc etc is not easy. You will likely devote the main part of your life to it working all hours in return for this worthless thing called money before you later realise that its all one big con, that you are in fact a slave living in a carefully manufactured world designed to keep you as a slave. You instinctively know right from wrong . . .

"On KPAX we have no laws. No laws . . . No lawyers!"

"Then how do you know right from wrong?"

"Every being in the universe knows right from wrong"
    . . . . . from KPAX (great film)

So, you know that this social life struggle is hard. What would be the easy "giving up" way out? A bunch of mates might say to you,

"forget being a "suit" and working all hours God sends for a pittance, join our group. We case out houses with flat screen TVs and Sky boxes and break in and nick stuff. We earn an absolute packet doing it and have the life of Riley!"

If you were to "give up" the fight and go join a bunch of "crims" then you would have "sold your soul".

You'd be taking the easy option and doing something you instinctively know is wrong or crooked.

People are routinely "selling their souls" on a daily basis. Just about every celeb that young people idolise has sold his/her soul to a corrupt industry for material gains of money and fame. As others have stated, a lot of this is people caving in and joining the Illuminati / Masonic orders, the corrupt greedy forces running the show. Every politician you know is equally just trying to get into the higher orders for the gravy train. There has not been a "real" US president for example since JFK. He was the last real people's president. He was of course assassinated by the corrupt powers that be and since then every president has just been a puppet of those orders. It doesn't matter if Americans voted Democratic or Republican, every candidate is actually working for the same unseen rulers. Same here in UK. Vote Tory or Labour, it makes no difference. They are all working for the same masters. Voting is an illusion designed to make stupid weak minded people think they have a choice and influence.

We all have a choice that crops up numerous times throughout life. To stand up and be counted or to give in, and go join the crooks. The latter is "selling your soul". Money and fame are worthless, always remember that. Bank notes are worth only the paper (or rather linen) they are printed on, eventually their true value will be realised when the global collapse happens. Remember always that you will eventually die and everything material you acquired will be worthless to you. Why spend your entire life striving and slaving to acquire money to spend on crap you don't actually need. This is the lie. This is the spell that entrances everyone until they break free from the Matrix. iPhones, iPods, iPads, cars, consoles, Sky boxes, clothes, shoes, jewellery, Pandora bracelet charms (lols) and so on. All stuff you don't really need. It's funny really but you'd think that every human would really have but one great priority in life and would devote all their time and effort to it . . . "How do I find the solution to death?"

Of course your conditioning and programming have you believing that death is inevitable, a foregone conclusion and that your lifespan can only be something of the order of 70-100 years. lols. Why would we believe this? Why shouldn't you live 1000 years and do so in perfect health with the body of a 30yr old? Even the Bible talks about people living this long. The answers are out there. Your choice. Spend your life believing the Matrix conditioning, buying "stuff", working, acquiring money, buying "stuff", rinse repeat until dead. Or start searching for the answers. Don't believe what they are telling you.

TEMET NOSCE

ReputationRep:
    Lol are you doing that aswell?

Are doing Dracula and Jane Eyre as extra reading as well?

I was also thinking of doing The Castle of Ontranto....but my brain might explode...
    I probably will end up reading those at some point. I've read The Picture of Dorian Gray as extra reading

Yes this is sort of the stuff I was thinking, well at least in our contemporary society. But I'm just curious as to why nudity would be bad, y'know? are our reasons still linked to religion even if we don't believe in it. Like for example, I'm an atheist but I think prostitution is degrading as well, but why do I believe that? For "moral reasons", but are those morals derived from religion without us really noticing...hmmmm
    Yes I wonder this as well.
    What is the true origin of morality? How do we know what's right or wrong? If no one told us it's wrong to murder would we think it's okay it's okay to do so?

We can look at it from an evolutionary stand point; Normally it would seem like things like altruism, empathy and compassion are counter productive to the 'survival of the fittest' thing which is a concept that pretty much states that all animals are selfish and will only act in their own self interest in order to survive.
    But if you think about it, groups where animals are altruistic, compassionate and selfless are more likely to survive than a Lone Ranger that tries to survive on his own.
    We have instinctual tendencies to help others so that our race can survive. It's how societies survive. We are all looking out for each other so that there is a greater chance that our entire race will survive. It's like when you see someone trying to jump off a bridge and your first instinct is to try and help.

Basically, we think things like murder, lying, cheating/fraud, selfishness etc harms our fellow man and is detrimental to our survival as a whole.
    I guess you could say that's where most of our morals come from. It's part of our nature as humans. And this behavior can be seen amongst ants in their colonies, monkeys and even elephants.

I hope I haven't spouted absolute ****e it's a bit late and French revision is messing with my head.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the midst of doing that right now, my brain hurts from the amount I have typed these past few days and I'm no where near done. :cry2:
    Which essay based subjects do you do except English? That is one reason I changed my A-level choices to sciences

ReputationRep:
    It's just a saying for selling out your values. So if you are a vegetarian and work as a butcher then you are selling your soul.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajneetk)
    Is this stuff even real?
    Sure. There are plenty of situations in life where being unscrupulous could be highly lucrative.

ReputationRep:
    What use would there be if someone loses thier soul even if they have anything eles?
    Remember, money, fame or anything eles you would get if you sold your soul is eternal. They're just materialistic stuff that ends when your body dies..

So in case anyone's like, Imma try this thing out. Well hopefully no one is that stupid, hopefully.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.