Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Physics Unit 4 - Capacitors Help!!! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Studying for the paper tomorrow. Can you help me with this question?
    Name:  phy.PNG
Views: 80
Size:  14.7 KB
    How is D the answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sandy_Vega30)
    Hey guys. Studying for the paper tomorrow. Can you help me with this question?
    Name:  phy.PNG
Views: 80
Size:  14.7 KB
    How is D the answer?
    You have to use the formula Qx 0.5 = Q x e blah blah
    I tried sending the answer in a picture but it doesnt let me

ReputationRep:
    Hi. If you use the equation Q = Q0 x E ^-t/RC and rearrange you can get D as the answer. i've attached the working I did:Name:  Capacitor Working.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  36.9 KB
    Hope this helps! If you're unsure about any bit feel free to ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VeeDubSpecs)
    Hi. If you use the equation Q = Q0 x E ^-t/RC and rearrange you can get D as the answer. i've attached the working I did:Name:  Capacitor Working.jpg
    or remember the answer is referring to half life of the capacitor kinda thing which is 69% so 5x69% gives you 3.45 which is 3.5 (2sf).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raman_17)
    or remember the answer is referring to half life of the capacitor kinda thing which is 69% so 5x69% gives you 3.45 which is 3.5 (2sf).
    That's a good point! Hadn't thought of that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VeeDubSpecs)
    Thank You!! Understood!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raman_17)
    The half life of a capacitor is 69%? And why do you multiply it by the time constant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sandy_Vega30)
    The half life of a capacitor is 69%? And why do you multiply it by the time constant?
    As its referring to "time taken" to reduce to half which is the half life of the capacitor

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.