Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Year 11's: are you taking part in the NCS scheme? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    edit: sort of misinterpreted your question

But I'm going in the summer not sure about the date. I asked for preference July time.
    Cool! I'm going in July too! Something like 7th July - 29th July.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

(Original post by mxskaan)
    No, are you?
    There are so many things I want to do in the summer so I'm going to give it a miss. I'd rather apply for a summer school at LSE or Queen Mary's etc.
    (Original post by Mr...)
    Not completely sure, I do want to go to summer schools and work experience etc.:yep:
    There are autumn programmes that you can have a look at too.

I'd definitely recommend it. :ahee:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

(Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    It only takes 5 days in total, not a huge chunk out of your lengthy summer holiday.
    It's two weeks and then a few weekends for the summer programme.
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Black Rose)
    It's two weeks and then a few weekends for the summer programme.
    Oh my lord I don't remember anything then :cry: all I know is that it was super short :zomg:

The 4 weekends are when you're just about starting your AS levels, right? :eek3:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Oh my lord I don't remember anything then :cry: all I know is that it was super short :zomg:

The 4 weekends are when you're just about starting your AS levels, right? :eek3:
    I suppose residential is actually 10 days as you get to go home in the weekends :mmm:

I think so, not entirely sure as I didn't do the summer one
    • Welcome Squad

I suppose residential is actually 10 days as you get to go home in the weekends :mmm:

I think so, not entirely sure as I didn't do the summer one
    Residential is TEN days?! You're fibbing :eek3: either I had so much fun it feel like 2 long days or they've lengthened the residential :eek3:

Ah, that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KirstyBishop)
    I'm not too sure yet. They gave an assembly at my school, and it sounded pretty cool
    Everyone who went to it from my school really enjoyed it, I'd recommend even though I didn't go.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Residential is TEN days?! You're fibbing :eek3: either I had so much fun it feel like 2 long days or they've lengthened the residential :eek3:

Ah, that makes sense
    5 days residential doing the physical stuff and then another 5 days at a university (that's where they do the skill part)

What sort of things did you do at the residential? And kept in touch with people?

ReputationRep:
    not yet, but I'm going to tomorrow

this sounds really exciting and I'm one for talking2 people lol

ReputationRep:
    I've signed up but I need to change to a certain provider and I need to pay.
    The dates would be something lie 8th August - 27th or something.... I'm not that sure...

I was meant to be going with a friend in Year 12 but she's doing her EPQ And all my other friends are going away.

ReputationRep:
    5 days residential doing the physical stuff and then another 5 days at a university (that's where they do the skill part)

What sort of things did you do at the residential? And kept in touch with people?
    Them days 👌

ReputationRep:

For the physical residential we did team building things like archery, caving, high ropes etc.
    For the uni residential there were more team activities, for example PepsiCo came in and we had to design a product of some sort, then pitch it to the rest of the wave.
    Then in the evenings, there were various recreational things to do, such as football and boxing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makadia)
    For the physical residential we did team building things like archery, caving, high ropes etc.
    For the uni residential there were more team activities, for example PepsiCo came in and we had to design a product of some sort, then pitch it to the rest of the wave.
    Then in the evenings, there were various recreational things to do, such as football and boxing.
    For week 1, did you stay in tents or in rooms? I have heard that it depends on the place, is this true?

ReputationRep:
    For week 1, did you stay in tents or in rooms? I have heard that it depends on the place, is this true?
    That's wronggggg!! You stay in a tent on one night and rooms the rest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    That's wronggggg!! You stay in a tent on one night and rooms the rest
    Okay, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thank you!
    It depends on wave. I stayed in rooms for the whole thing whereas people on the wave after stayed in tents for the whole week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makadia)
    It depends on wave. I stayed in rooms for the whole thing whereas people on the wave after stayed in tents for the whole week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How do they determine your wave? And, would you recommend going in the summer holidays before college, or waiting until you have started college fully and going in the next summer holidays?

ReputationRep:
    How do they determine your wave? And, would you recommend going in the summer holidays before college, or waiting until you have started college fully and going in the next summer holidays?
    your wave is basically referring to the dates that you do it, so when I did it last summer I was in wave 10 because I was in the last slot (august 15th-30th)

I would recommend going in the holidays after year 11 because you have a couple of months off, and you don't have to do any work or uni application prep like you would between years 12 and 13

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andies)
    your wave is basically referring to the dates that you do it, so when I did it last summer I was in wave 10 because I was in the last slot (august 15th-30th)

I would recommend going in the holidays after year 11 because you have a couple of months off, and you don't have to do any work or uni application prep like you would between years 12 and 13
    Okay, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    One of the providers came into school today and they had a special code so you only had to pay £35.00 and then when I went to put the code in, I forgot it.
    Meh... not the end of the world I guess...

Is anyone doing it with JLGB? (Interfaith NCS)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.