really want to learn a language.....

Watch
chris2791
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I really want to learn Dutch and wanted to know if there is any books or websites that you recommend
Niamh581
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Duolingo is a great app and website to learn loads of languages. I'm currently learning Danish with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
batoot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
memrise - for vocab
sportyannie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Try Brainscape - I'm currently learning Mandarin with them - its really easy to pick it up with the way they teach it
BEAN!
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Move to the Netherlands.
fatiana
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BEAN!)
Move to the Netherlands.
lmaoo XD
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by batoot)
memrise - for vocab
Memrise in general is the best
http://www.memrise.com/course/70005/basic-dutch-i/
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by chris2791)
I really want to learn Dutch and wanted to know if there is any books or websites that you recommend
I highly recommend using Duolingo, you can learn Dutch as well as many other languages like French, Spanish etc and there's an app that you can use on the go to learn a new language.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by animeamanda1412)
lmaoo XD
Well... it might not be very practical but it's not bad advice. It's the fastest way of learning the language.
aamirac
Report 5 years ago
SeanFM You might find this thread helpful.
fatiana
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plagioclase)
Well... it might not be very practical but it's not bad advice. It's the fastest way of learning the language.
can't say i disagree. ;P I'm a I-wanna-learn-Japanese type of person so i watch subbed anime and so far i've learnt alot i guess
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by animeamanda1412)
can't say i disagree. ;P I'm a I-wanna-learn-Japanese type of person so i watch subbed anime and so far i've learnt alot i guess
I'm also a I-wanna-learn-Japanese person; I can recommend WaniKani!
fatiana
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plagioclase)
I'm also a I-wanna-learn-Japanese person; I can recommend WaniKani!
cool! thanks!!
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There are summer schools at Leiden, Tilburg or Utrecht. I found this the best way and went to Utrecht.

Goed geluk!
Kevin De Bruyne
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by aamirac)
Yesss thanks, I watching it now :ninjagirl:
elen90
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be fluent in day-to-day vocab, you're gonna need a vocabulary of around two and a half thousand words. One thousand if you're just aiming to take it to a conversational level. Or if you really want a good understanding of the knowledge, as well as the ability to discuss more complex topics, aim for five to ten thousand.

Seeing as it sounds rather daunting to leap for ten thousand words, I would start by going for the thousand in order to get a grasp of the language and figure out if you want to take it much further. To be motivated to learn a language you have to be interested in the country itself, or you'll find the words quickly slipping out of your memory.

I would check out the website Fluent in 3 Months for general tips on language-learning (how to become fluent quickly, how to make the learning process enjoyable, staying motivated, etc.)
I use Memrise to learn Mandarin, and it's great for your vocabulary but can get a little tedious from time to time through its inane repetition and merciless 'no-mistakes' system.
Duolingo may well be the place to start as it will teach you approximately 1.5k words and allows you to build sentences from the get-go.
It's incredibly important to understand basic grammar. I read lots of articles on About.com for this.
If you're feeling confident, try out italki to converse with native speakers over videochat.

Once your comprehension is better in the language I would really recommend listening to some Dutch radio, checking out Dutch websites, reading Dutch, and so on. You'll be amazed at how quickly you absorb words - even if you don't recognise one you'll probably get the gist of what it means from the context.
chris2791
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by elen90)
To be fluent in day-to-day vocab, you're gonna need a vocabulary of around two and a half thousand words. One thousand if you're just aiming to take it to a conversational level. Or if you really want a good understanding of the knowledge, as well as the ability to discuss more complex topics, aim for five to ten thousand.

Seeing as it sounds rather daunting to leap for ten thousand words, I would start by going for the thousand in order to get a grasp of the language and figure out if you want to take it much further. To be motivated to learn a language you have to be interested in the country itself, or you'll find the words quickly slipping out of your memory.

I would check out the website Fluent in 3 Months for general tips on language-learning (how to become fluent quickly, how to make the learning process enjoyable, staying motivated, etc.)
I use Memrise to learn Mandarin, and it's great for your vocabulary but can get a little tedious from time to time through its inane repetition and merciless 'no-mistakes' system.
Duolingo may well be the place to start as it will teach you approximately 1.5k words and allows you to build sentences from the get-go.
It's incredibly important to understand basic grammar. I read lots of articles on About.com for this.
If you're feeling confident, try out italki to converse with native speakers over videochat.

Once your comprehension is better in the language I would really recommend listening to some Dutch radio, checking out Dutch websites, reading Dutch, and so on. You'll be amazed at how quickly you absorb words - even if you don't recognise one you'll probably get the gist of what it means from the context.
thank you so much really helpful !!! great idea
luciie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Duolingo is amaaaaaaazing
Dunno Za Dunno
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by aamirac)
Slap yourself, you fool!
tobiasxjones
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Duolingo... Very interactive, and gives you a solid basis. Sometimes could be better on explaining rules and introducing new things with a bit more background, but it gets you there. They have added a voice function recently but I don't know how precise it is.

On moving to the Netherlands, I would fully recommend having a good background. Unlike French and Spanish people for example, they will immediately switch into English if your Dutch shows signs of being not fluent in any way. This is handy for convenience, but not great for learning a language. You must be very persistent and insistent that people speak Dutch to you as Dutch people have a very high English level and prefer speaking that to you than hearing you butcher their language.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (18)
8.74%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (125)
60.68%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
14.56%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (29)
14.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (4)
1.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed