Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was working through the question below, and when I compared my answer to that in the back, it wasn't the same and i don't understand where I went wrong? I've italicised from where I don't understand.

Question:
    The weight of a car is 1.8x10^4 N. It accelerates from rest to a velocity of 28ms^-1 in a time of 9.6s. Calculate the acceleration of the car.

Answer:
    a= (v-u)/t = 28/9.6
    a=2.91 ms^-2
    m=w/g = (1.8 x 10^4)/9.81
    m= 1.83x10^3
    F=ma =1.83x10^3 x 2.91
    =5.4 x 10^3 N

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabruh)
    I was working through the question below, and when I compared my answer to that in the back, it wasn't the same and i don't understand where I went wrong? I've italicised from where I don't understand.

Question:
    The weight of a car is 1.8x10^4 N. It accelerates from rest to a velocity of 28ms^-1 in a time of 9.6s. Calculate the acceleration of the car.

Answer:
    a= (v-u)/t = 28/9.6
    a=2.91 ms^-2
    m=w/g = (1.8 x 10^4)/9.81
    m= 1.83x10^3
    F=ma =1.83x10^3 x 2.91
    =5.4 x 10^3 N
    Ok, first of all we are given force (weight), initial velocity, final velocity, time and must find the acceleration. You gud with that....
    Now the formula for acceleration is a=(v-u)/t. So we know u =0m/s, v=28m/s and time is 9.6 seconds. Therfore chucking all them in the calculator gives acceleration= 35/12. with f=ma we only have force. So to get mass do force/g so the mass is 90000/49. Now f=ma so f=ma which is (35/12) * (1.8x10^4) which gives 53500 which in standard form is 5.4 x 10^3N. But I don't understand you get the force when the quesion asks for acceleration, you sure the question is written correctly?
    Well anyways has that helped?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raman_17)
    Ok, first of all we are given force (weight), initial velocity, final velocity, time and must find the acceleration. You gud with that....
    Now the formula for acceleration is a=(v-u)/t. So we know u =0m/s, v=28m/s and time is 9.6 seconds. Therfore chucking all them in the calculator gives acceleration= 35/12. with f=ma we only have force. So to get mass do force/g so the mass is 90000/49. Now f=ma so f=ma which is (35/12) * (1.8x10^4) which gives 53500 which in standard form is 5.4 x 10^3N. But I don't understand you get the force when the quesion asks for acceleration, you sure the question is written correctly?
    Well anyways has that helped?
    that's why i'm so confused- I can use the given suvat equation to work out acceleration, so why is anything else relevant? I don't understand why you even get an answer in Newtons, when the SI unit for acceleration is ms^-2.

My problem wasn't with the math and following what they did, but rather why it was done. thanks though!

ReputationRep:
    that's why i'm so confused- I can use the given suvat equation to work out acceleration, so why is anything else relevant? I don't understand why you even get an answer in Newtons, when the SI unit for acceleration is ms^-2.

My problem wasn't with the math and following what they did, but rather why it was done. thanks though!
    Isn't there a second section in the question asking about the force accelerating the car?

if not I can't see what that bit is doing in the M/S either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Isn't there a second section in the question asking about the force accelerating the car?

if not I can't see what that bit is doing in the M/S either
    As you can see, three is no second part in the question. I'll just assume it was a printing error (5 marks for simple suvat though??)

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  413.4 KB

ReputationRep:

yh thats fine, its just I got stuck with the SI units too why acceleration was N...
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    yh thats fine, its just I got stuck with the SI units too why acceleration was N...
    Acceleration is m/s^2 or N/kg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    Acceleration is m/s^2 or N/kg
    oh yh thanks! but, what I was told was that the answer was just Newtons so I was confused that it should be newtons per kilogram...

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    oh yh thanks! but, what I was told was that the answer was just Newtons so I was confused that it should be newtons per kilogram...
    Maybe they did the force?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    Maybe they did the force?
    the question was probably written wrong then

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    the question was probably written wrong then
    :yes: probably, or the answer

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 18, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.