The Student Room Group

Would you date an asexual?

Scroll to see replies

Maybe, would have to be the right person though. My fiance has been on some pretty rough meds that have really knocked her libido, so it's been like being in an asexual relationship for a while! But I also know it's not permanent, so I guess it's a bit different.

I mean, I don't think sex is necessary to make a relationship work but it is important. So I could do it short term but not forever.
Original post by Andy98
Damn, now you're making me think I might be asexual:dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, sorry - the confusion can really suck sometimes. Seeing your later post though, it's good that you're pretty chill about things - you know what you like and that's the main thing.
Some people find having some kind of label helps, but some aren't so fussed. Either way, it's cool. (Not knowing what half the labels mean, however... :s-smilie:)
Reply 62
Original post by lightwoXd
Haha, sorry - the confusion can really suck sometimes. Seeing your later post though, it's good that you're pretty chill about things - you know what you like and that's the main thing.
Some people find having some kind of label helps, but some aren't so fussed. Either way, it's cool. (Not knowing what half the labels mean, however... :s-smilie:)

Haha yeah it's ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stop888
So many labels :s-smilie: People are weird.

It may seem strange but sometimes just having a label to attach to yourself can really help, as you feel less alone and you know what to search to find more stuff :smile: some people get so worked up about 'tumblr kids making too many labels' and whatever but if it's helping people I don't see the harm, it's only making people feel better :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MezzaTheMez
It may seem strange but sometimes just having a label to attach to yourself can really help, as you feel less alone and you know what to search to find more stuff :smile: some people get so worked up about 'tumblr kids making too many labels' and whatever but if it's helping people I don't see the harm, it's only making people feel better :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

When did you find out you're asexual? Never knew such a thing existed. And greysexual is pushing it a bit too far don't you think? :lol:
Reply 65
Original post by Spock's Socks
Lol believe that you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

[video="youtube;DP1hWtMRxpk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP1hWtMRxpk[/video]
Original post by TheGreatImposter
Hmmmmm, that's actually really interesting, so would you say someone who experience arousal over someone else would mean that they're not asexual?

Yeah I think even within a sexuality there is so much variation, but I think I understand it a little better. I wish this was talked about more though because you don't really get to hear much about asexuality.

1. I think arousal is like sexual attraction so... Maybe? It's hard to tell really. I think the best indicator of wether somebody is ace or not is if they identify as it, because really everything's a spectrum so it's not like it's exact categories anyway. So if somebody choses to identify as asexual then they are!

2. MORE FAIR ASEXUAL AND AROMANTIC REPRESENTATION
Most people in my school didnt know anything about aces until I made a bunch of posters for ace awareness week. I literally made this thread just to raise awareness I hope it's working :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stop888
When did you find out you're asexual? Never knew such a thing existed. And greysexual is pushing it a bit too far don't you think? :lol:

It took a while for me to accept it, I first heard of it in about March last year but it wasn't until September (after getting upset a lot) that I realised I just had to accept who I am which made me a lot happier. I'm also super determined to raise awareness because if everyone knows about it from puberty age then they'll be less kids feeling 'broken' because they're not like everyone else, they'll be able to recognise they're ace earlier and be happier!
I don't really think it's mine or anyone else's place to judge if greyasexual is pushing it or not, if somebody choses to identify as that because it helps them than that's fine, it's not like it affects anyone else. Feeling like you fit in to somewhere is important and I imagine greyace is particularly confusing, not feeling sexual attraction enough to feel like an allosexual, but denied entry to asexual community as well. I admit I don't know a whole lot about greyaces but I'm not going to exclude them!
If anyone reading this is a greyace I'd love to hear about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheGreatImposter
Hmmmmm, that's actually really interesting, so would you say someone who experience arousal over someone else would mean that they're not asexual

I know this wasn't aimed at me but I guess it depends on the person? Like I've never experienced arousal over a person but I have experienced it generally if that makes any sense haha - in some ways it's more down to how an individual person would describe their feelings and whether they think it fits within their definition of the label. I think the problem with labels like these is that they try to fit something that's really more of a spectrum into definitive categories, like you've pretty much said below.

Yeah I think even within a sexuality there is so much variation, but I think I understand it a little better. I wish this was talked about more though because you don't really get to hear much about asexuality.

Seriously - I didn't even know asexuality was a thing until I saw people beginning to talk about it on Tumblr a couple of years back. More coverage of this kind of stuff would save a lot of people a lot of confusion and heartache (seen a lot of anecdotes where people have said they thought something was wrong with them), and would reduce the kind of ignorance that results in some of the potentially hurtful comments that have cropped up earlier in the thread.
1. I think arousal is like sexual attraction so... Maybe? It's hard to tell really. I think the best indicator of wether somebody is ace or not is if they identify as it, because really everything's a spectrum so it's not like it's exact categories anyway. So if somebody choses to identify as asexual then they are!

2. MORE FAIR ASEXUAL AND AROMANTIC REPRESENTATION
Most people in my school didnt know anything about aces until I made a bunch of posters for ace awareness week. I literally made this thread just to raise awareness I hope it's working :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

prsom :smile:
As a heterosexual, and a voracious one at that, I don't think this would be a remotely appealing prospect for either party; so no.
Reply 71
It took a while for me to accept it, I first heard of it in about March last year but it wasn't until September (after getting upset a lot) that I realised I just had to accept who I am which made me a lot happier. I'm also super determined to raise awareness because if everyone knows about it from puberty age then they'll be less kids feeling 'broken' because they're not like everyone else, they'll be able to recognise they're ace earlier and be happier!
I don't really think it's mine or anyone else's place to judge if greyasexual is pushing it or not, if somebody choses to identify as that because it helps them than that's fine, it's not like it affects anyone else. Feeling like you fit in to somewhere is important and I imagine greyace is particularly confusing, not feeling sexual attraction enough to feel like an allosexual, but denied entry to asexual community as well. I admit I don't know a whole lot about greyaces but I'm not going to exclude them!
If anyone reading this is a greyace I'd love to hear about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why were you so sad you were asexual? When I found out I was, i was like ok cool. :s-smilie:
Reply 72
No way, sorry.

Sex is very important. Not the most important in a relationship but still very important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kabbage
Why were you so sad you were asexual? When I found out I was, i was like ok cool. :s-smilie:

I'm happy about it now (most of the time) but idk it seemed huge and confusing at the time, all my close friends REALLY love sex -.- so it felt like a huge wedge us, plus I knew my family wouldn't react well :/
Now I know there's a wider ace community and I'm not just 'some freak' as I used to think I'm pretty cool with it :smile: There's even a weird amount of aces in my year (like 5 others that I know of) so that's great! I'm glad you managed without the stupid drama though (lol I feel so dumb thinking about how much I overreacted XD )

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it's an asexual girl then no.

If it's an asexual boy then yes. In fact if I date a boy then I'd prefer it if they were ace because I'm not really sexually attracted to boys. Or at least I haven't met one that I wouldn't mind having sex with.
Original post by *Stefan*
No way, sorry.

Sex is very important. Not the most important in a relationship but still very important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Imo it's 50% of a relationship.
Original post by StrawbAri
If it's an asexual girl then no.

If it's an asexual boy then yes. In fact if I date a boy then I'd prefer it if they were ace because I'm not really sexually attracted to boys. Or at least I haven't met one that I wouldn't mind having sex with.

But if you aren't asexual then why would you date a person without being sexually attracted to them?
Reply 77
I'm happy about it now (most of the time) but idk it seemed huge and confusing at the time, all my close friends REALLY love sex -.- so it felt like a huge wedge us, plus I knew my family wouldn't react well :/
Now I know there's a wider ace community and I'm not just 'some freak' as I used to think I'm pretty cool with it :smile: There's even a weird amount of aces in my year (like 5 others that I know of) so that's great! I'm glad you managed without the stupid drama though (lol I feel so dumb thinking about how much I overreacted XD )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahah thats probably because I have very shy friends who are too scared to talk to boys ^^ Guess I didnt have the drama that leads to the shock.. It's so weird tho, are you like one of those ppl who never want to have sex, not even to try it?
Original post by kabbage
It's so weird tho, are you like one of those ppl who never want to have sex, not even to try it?

Idk, I'm pretty sex repulsed so probably not. Maybe if I married a guy and really wanted kids? I'm almost certain I wouldn't enjoy it so yeah :/ plus, as the ace boy in my year is fond of saying, 'sex is actually super gross when you think about it.'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending