Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Travelling from London To Edinburgh on a monthly basis Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    HI, I'm thinking about firming Edinburgh but I live near London.
    I want to study chemical engineering.
    Anyone know the cheapest and most convenient way to travel.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Move to Edinburgh.

It's normal for uni students to move into the town or city the uni is in when the term begins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cpj16)

Thanks
    Definitely move to Edinburgh... there's no way you could commute daily. But if you're talking about visiting home then the quickest way is by plane (around 30 quid with Ryan Air) but you can get advance train tickets for around the same price using the 16-25 railcard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cpj16)

Thanks
    Megabus, though it isn't pleasant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cpj16)

Thanks
    Not sure exactly what you mean, do you mean, what is the cheapest option for a monthly trip home and back from where you are living in Edinburgh? Megabus for sure. It's awful as well. :eek: If you know you are going to do it way ahead, you may be able to get good deals on the train (much easier and more pleasant) by booking tickets in advance on the web. You can book 3 months ahead and some of those long range tickets can be somewhat reasonable, but you are still talking ~£80+ return.

If you mean daily commuting or something like that, forget it, it's about 4 and a half hours each way minimum. Even flying takes several hours including airport transfers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Not sure exactly what you mean, do you mean, what is the cheapest option for a monthly trip home and back from where you are living in Edinburgh? Megabus for sure. It's awful as well. :eek: If you know you are going to do it way ahead, you may be able to get good deals on the train (much easier and more pleasant) by booking tickets in advance on the web. You can book 3 months ahead and some of those long range tickets can be somewhat reasonable, but you are still talking ~£80+ return.

If you mean daily commuting or something like that, forget it, it's about 4 and a half hours each way minimum. Even flying takes several hours including airport transfers.
    Agree about all of that. I think commuting was mentioned by someone else, and the OP doesn't say anything about it. The thread title says monthly, and Megabus, despite being pretty horrid, should be perfectly affordable on that basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)

(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Agree about all of that. I think commuting was mentioned by someone else, and the OP doesn't say anything about it. The thread title says monthly, and Megabus, despite being pretty horrid, should be perfectly affordable on that basis.

cheers guys, much appreciated

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.