Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Statistical test for rate of reaction Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm investigating the rate of photosynthesis under different coloured light. I'm using a colorimeter to measure the % absorbance before and after some minutes of my solution of plant and DCPIP being exposed to the light and then dividing by the time to get the rate of reaction. I plan on doing repeats for each colour of light.

My null hypothesis is testing the significant difference between the rates under different coloured light, but I'm unsure of what statistical test to use. I was thinking of using the Mann-Whitney U test, but I have numerical data.

Also for my independent variable, would it be better to use wavelengths or just list the colours of the light (red, blue, etc.) in my table?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etherealinsanity)
    Hi,

I'm investigating the rate of photosynthesis under different coloured light. I'm using a colorimeter to measure the % absorbance before and after some minutes of my solution of plant and DCPIP being exposed to the light and then dividing by the time to get the rate of reaction. I plan on doing repeats for each colour of light.

My null hypothesis is testing the significant difference between the rates under different coloured light, but I'm unsure of what statistical test to use. I was thinking of using the Mann-Whitney U test, but I have numerical data.

Also for my independent variable, would it be better to use wavelengths or just list the colours of the light (red, blue, etc.) in my table?

Thank you.
    Sorey I can't help with the which test part, but as for the independent variable part, unless you're using colours that overlap each others wavelength, I'd say use red, blue etc.

Provided you use the exact same red each time though.

ReputationRep:
    bruh... so many bumps - are you cold? X'D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    bruh... so many bumps - are you cold? X'D
    Kind of. The heating in my house is sort of messed up at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PharaohFromSpace)
    Sorey I can't help with the which test part, but as for the independent variable part, unless you're using colours that overlap each others wavelength, I'd say use red, blue etc.

Provided you use the exact same red each time though.
    I was planning on using red, blue, green and yellow. I suppose I could use the mann whitney-u test but I wouldn't have a lot of values to work with.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.