Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Exam question Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How would I answer this question, it is an A-level 12 marker according to my teacher but I am in Year 11
    The question is: Explain the formation of waves and how they determine the profile of a beach
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Waves are created by wind blowing over the surface of the sea and as the wind makes contact with the water, friction is produced which creates a swell in the water. The energy from the wind makes the particles rotate inside the swell and thus the wave is moved forward,

However waves can be either constructive or destructive. When a wave breaks, water is brought onto the beach which is called swash then afterwards the water is dragged back into the sea which is called backwash. If the swash is stronger than the backwash it is a constructive wave, if though the backwash is stronger than the swash it is a destructive wave.

Destructive Waves

These waves are formed in stormy conditions from powerful waves where the wind has been blowing strongly for a long amount of time and manifest when there is high energy and long fetch (the distance the wave has travelled). Their destructive action erodes the beach.

Constructive Waves

They are formed in calm conditions and as such they are less powerful than destructive waves. When they break on the shore they deposit sediment which builds up the beach.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.