Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What argument do liberals and greens have for not voting for Corbyn? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    He is everything you guys want. He is left wing and supports a left wing system of governence. Why would you not vote for him. He voices the same concerns as you people?

ReputationRep:
    He is a white heterosexual male - the devil made flesh.

ReputationRep:
    Some of his policies regarding the military situation are controversial such as the scrapping trident and no bombing of syria were unpopular with members of his own party and the public

ReputationRep:
    If they vote for a popular party like Labour, they'll lose their special snowflake status.

ReputationRep:
    Hes a nice guy but he would be bad for buisness.

ReputationRep:
    Because there are still too many rightists (or 'moderates' as the media calls them) in the party, and he keeps consulting them over policy to please the media/corporations/retards. The thing is however accommodating he is, he's still going to get painted as Charmain Mao, so he may as just as just go full leftist and send them to the gulag.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with him on some things but there are 2 things which mean I would never vote for him;

1. He is a Statist. The State is a vehicle of our oppression not a savior from it and 2. He thinks the British electoral system is either ) a fit for purpose or b) foolishly thinks it's capable of change.

ReputationRep:
    He calls terrorist groups 'friends' and associates himself with twisted organisations that promote anti-Semitic and just plain sick ideologies.

ReputationRep:
    I like a lot of Corbyn's ideas and policies. Not all of them, but a lot of them. As a green, I am undecided whether I would vote Labour in 2020. It depends on how much control he has over the parliamentary party, most of whom I find repulsive.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bazlehman)
    Because there are still too many rightists (or 'moderates' as the media calls them) in the party, and he keeps consulting them over policy to please the media/corporations/retards. The thing is however accommodating he is, he's still going to get painted as Charmain Mao, so he may as just as just go full leftist and send them to the gulag.
    Most people consider the 'moderates' centre-left/left.

(Original post by ikhan94)
    Some of his policies regarding the military situation are controversial such as the scrapping trident and no bombing of syria were unpopular with members of his own party and the public
    How would that explain Green Party supporters not turning to him? :laugh:

(Original post by cBay)
    I like a lot of Corbyn's ideas and policies. Not all of them, but a lot of them. As a green, I am undecided whether I would vote Labour in 2020. It depends on how much control he has over the parliamentary party, most of whom I find repulsive.
    I have quite a few Green friends who are having the same conflicion, so you're not alone.

I get what you mean, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    I agree with him on some things but there are 2 things which mean I would never vote for him;

1. He is a Statist. The State is a vehicle of our oppression not a savior from it and 2. He thinks the British electoral system is either ) a fit for purpose or b) foolishly thinks it's capable of change.
    the absence of a state quickly degenerates into the purest form of capitalism, as does anything which strips back state power (assuming you don't mean 'oh yeah lets add lots of economic regulation but remove the minor state interference in social matters').
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    When exactly did liberals become necessarily far left?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    He is a white heterosexual male - the devil made flesh.
    but he has close relations with members of the Afro-Caribbean community. very close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The Lib dems dont really exist- there just happens to be a confederation of social democrats that happen to support PR and are more socially liberal. Oh and have a loopy evangelist as leader.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    The Lib dems dont really exist- there just happens to be a confederation of social democrats that happen to support PR and are more socially liberal. Oh and have a loopy evangelist as leader.
    So now the lib dems hold a global monopoly on liberalism?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    That is actually the best summery of the LibDems that I have ever heard. Well done.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The liberal democrats are left wing and the sort of policies they desire are what Jeremy Corbyn is offering
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    So now the lib dems hold a global monopoly on liberalism?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have no doubt that Corbyn is more socially liberal than anyone in the Parliamentary LibDems.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.