Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's your worst away day tale and why? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    From a long journey for a called-off game, to a restricted view, to getting utterly soaked...
    What's your worst away day tale and why?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Only ever been lucky enough to do a couple of away days with Liverpool - but I've been around the grounds with other mates and family members who support other clubs. Worst ground I've ever been to, without a doubt, is Kenilworth Road.

ReputationRep:
    Probably Stoke. Zero pubs, ground in the middle of nowhere, loudmouth fans, away fans exposed and it was blowing a gale and then some. We lost as well.

In terms of bad results, trips to Chelsea and Man City stick out. Especially the latter - I was at the 6-0 loss three seasons ago. But the ground is decent, and Manchester pubs are cracking.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Probably Stoke. Zero pubs, ground in the middle of nowhere, loudmouth fans, away fans exposed and it was blowing a gale and then some. We lost as well.
    I'd back this.

The majority of grounds I've been to have been fine, but Stoke just lacks character. Slap bang on the motorway. It reminds me of the Ricoh Arena and the Reebok a little bit, but at least those two have retail parks next to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Only ever been lucky enough to do a couple of away days with Liverpool - but I've been around the grounds with other mates and family members who support other clubs. Worst ground I've ever been to, without a doubt, is Kenilworth Road.
    Luton can add worst footy stadium to worst place in the UK. Never been but I imagine it's a right cesspit.

Brighton's old "stadium", it's name escapes me was by far my worst away day. It was freezing and it rained like hell, the stand didn't even have a roof lol. I think this was in like 2006 which was far too recent for a stadium that sh*t. I couldn't see anything and standing was forbidden.

Ironically, I went there again recently to their new ground and now it's one of my favourite away days. Great pubs around, good stadium and cool locals.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diego Costa)
    Luton can add worst footy stadium to worst place in the UK. Never been but I imagine it's a right cesspit.
    You aren't missing anything. You have to literally walk through somebody's house to get into your seat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    You aren't missing anything. You have to literally walk through somebody's house to get into your seat.
    I thought you were joking until I saw...

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    I thought you were joking until I saw...

And the home end:

ReputationRep:
    I love it when the ground's a dump. Just not so much if the area's a dump. Contrasting Portsmouth/Everton/Palace with Luton, for example.

ReputationRep:
    Wembley capital one cup final going so well for 60 minutes then it all went wrong ended up losing 3-1 kompany made a brilliant tackle just before halftime when boring should of made it 2-0
    • TSR Support Team

League Cup final of 2010 when Vidic should have been sent off and we ended up losing 2-1 on a bitterly cold afternoon. Gillingham although we won 2-1 it was again freezing and the away end had no roof

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Palace fan and I remember Blackpool away in 2008/09. They had a temporary stand for the away supporters which had no roof and it was tipping it down. I got soaked.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    I love it when the ground's a dump. Just not so much if the area's a dump. Contrasting Portsmouth/Everton/Palace with Luton, for example.
    Fratton Park is so traditional. One of my favourites. In the PL, I love Anfield - obviously - but Goodison and Villa Park are brilliant, too. I've only ever been to Selhurst Park once, when Palace were in the second tier, so the atmosphere wasn't great.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.