Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help an American out!! (International Relations at LSE with PPE at Oxford) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Since there is basically no one at my school district that has any experience with the UCAS system, I am hoping that you guys can help me out. How do UK students make a personal statement with two different courses? My main problem is that I don't have the AP Calc BC requirement to apply to any LSE course that requires mathematics. I was thinking talking about being somewhat general and talking about learning about the world (with specifics on books and theories) and my congressional internships. Is this a terrible idea or something that can be done with a whole summer worth of free time to

ReputationRep:
    Discuss an international element when you cover politics and economics. I would have a particularly large paragraph on politics and discuss an international element. I would suggest doing an online course through futurelearn and talk about a book you've read. I can recommend some if you'd like. Maybe mention an essay you've written with an international perspective if you have done this.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, I would love some book recommendations!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    LSE are very picky with their PSs - if you don't seem 100% committed to the course, it's likely to result in rejection unfortunately. You could always contact the admissions tutors and explain your situation and see what they suggest. There may be books that would cover both degrees, but when you are talking about different areas, you aren't going to be using the same sort of language, which is where the difficulty with showing commitment will be most obvious (e.g. in the introduction when you talk about subjects/areas of interest)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NormanBrandoff)
    Thank you so much, I would love some book recommendations!
    Civilisation, Ferguson
    Politics, Runciman

I can't remember the authors of the other books I read when preparing for my uni application. I will get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    LSE are very picky with their PSs - if you don't seem 100% committed to the course, it's likely to result in rejection unfortunately. You could always contact the admissions tutors and explain your situation and see what they suggest. There may be books that would cover both degrees, but when you are talking about different areas, you aren't going to be using the same sort of language, which is where the difficulty with showing commitment will be most obvious (e.g. in the introduction when you talk about subjects/areas of interest)
    So if I apply for Politics & Philosophy at LSE could I just talk about those and only lightly talk about econ. Or would this piss off Oxford PPE tutors?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    So if I apply for Politics & Philosophy at LSE could I just talk about those and only lightly talk about econ. Or would this piss off Oxford PPE tutors?
    Are those the only two unis you are thinking of applying to? That would be a more sensible course selection, however

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, because besides those two, the reputation of other schools don't justify leaving the country when I live right next to Princeton University and am being athletically recruited to play for them. LSE and Oxford (Can't apply to Cambridge) are the two institutions that go toe to toe with the top U.S institutions.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, because besides those two, the reputation of other schools don't justify leaving the country when I live right next to Princeton University and am being athletically recruited to play for them. LSE and Oxford (Can't apply to Cambridge) are the two institutions that go toe to toe with the top U.S institutions.
    Have you considered applying to London Met?

ReputationRep:
    Getting an interview for PPE at Oxford will depend hugely on your TSA score and a good enough score should secure an interview. Just be honest but committed on your PS.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.