Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm unhappy Watch

Announcements

My life isn't even that bad...

I have a (decent) job. I just sit in an office 7 hours a day, 5 days a week. It's boring but eh, at least the salary is more than ok, I know I'll never lose my job and feel stressed at work. I have great friends that I love. I have everything I can dream of, except a girlfriend but I don't think that's the only thing that makes me feel so unhappy.

You hang out with friends, you do things you like/enjoy doing, but that's only a few hours a week. The rest of the time, it's just not worth living. It's uninteresting at best, boring at worst.

Anyone has the same feeling? Am I just sick or is life like that for everyone? Any advice to feel better?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    You need a more satisfying job.

Get some hobbies.

ReputationRep:
    Try and search for a job you're more interested in, it might perk you up a bit. Something you thoroughly enjoy.

Life is what you make it. Do something you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I have a (decent) job. I just sit in an office 7 hours a day, 5 days a week. It's boring but eh, at least the salary is more than ok, I know I'll never lose my job and feel stressed at work. I have great friends that I love. I have everything I can dream of, except a girlfriend but I don't think that's the only thing that makes me feel so unhappy.

You hang out with friends, you do things you like/enjoy doing, but that's only a few hours a week. The rest of the time, it's just not worth living. It's uninteresting at best, boring at worst.

Anyone has the same feeling? Am I just sick or is life like that for everyone? Any advice to feel better?

Thank you
    what do you like doing, hobby-wise?

(Original post by TeeEm)
    what do you like doing, hobby-wise?
    Playing tennis and football, hanging out with friends, watching sports movies and TV shows, playing video games and that's basically it

(Original post by SpiritSharD)
    Try and search for a job you're more interested in, it might perk you up a bit. Something you thoroughly enjoy.Life is what you make it. Do something you enjoy.

It took me a lot of work to get this job, and it's not the most interesting job in the world but it has a lot of advantages. Moreover, I mostly feel that way when I'm not working

ReputationRep:
    Playing tennis and football, hanging out with friends, watching sports movies and TV shows, playing video games and that's basically it

It took me a lot of work to get this job, and it's not the most interesting job in the world but it has a lot of advantages. Moreover, I mostly feel that way when I'm not working
    join a local football club which may play for a laugh in the evenings or weekends (hang out with boys)

Join an amateur drama class (meet people)

Join a gym (built body and self esteem)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    join a local football club which may play for a laugh in the evenings or weekends (hang out with boys)

Join an amateur drama class (meet people)

Join a gym (built body and self esteem)
    I think you are completely right to suggest this. Although, I did all of this, but it didn't help.

ReputationRep:
    Play video games and watch anime! :yes:

(Original post by Das Ich Man)
    You might need more intimacy than friendship. It does feel nice being in a relationship, but it might not work; personally even when I had a girlfriend I would sometimes feel sad even when we were laughing
    Yes I think it's the main reason I'm unhappy but I've never had a girlfriend so I can't be sure!

See, you were feeling sad even when you were with her laughing, maybe some people can't be happy and are just 'sick'. I'm really afraid of that.

(Original post by TeeEm)
    join a local football club which may play for a laugh in the evenings or weekends (hang out with boys)Join an amateur drama class (meet people)Join a gym (built body and self esteem)
    Thanks
    Already joined a football club in September and was thinking about joining a gym but I don't want to go there alone and the only friend who wanted to go with me is at the army

ReputationRep:
    Just get on a plane to somewhere random.

ReputationRep:
    See a doctor.

ReputationRep:

Thank you
    If I were in your shoes, which I have been, I would talk to some of your aforementioned friends or better yet, a GP or mental health professional. It's not 'normal' to find life 'pointless.'

Hope this helps...

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you've got stuck in a routine and need more stimulus.

ReputationRep:

Thank you
    It is pointless until you give yourself a meaning / 'point'. You already have so much going for you and a lot of stability and seem to have achieved a lot.

You hang out with friends, you do things you like/enjoy doing, but that's only a few hours a week. The rest of the time, it's just not worth living. It's uninteresting at best, boring at worst

You really have to see what you can do to make it interesting. what are you passionate about ? what makes you smile ? even though you said the enjoyable things last only a few hours you should still appreciate it because some people would literally die for a few hours of enjoyment each week. Also I can guarantee if you had the alternative "unlimited enjoyment " it would soon become meaningless. In other words there kind of needs to be a balance ...periods of lows and highs ...periods of enjoyment and no enjoyment if u see what I'm saying.

Think of the friends you made , the nice things you've experienced , going new places and smiling. surely you are glad that you got to experience all this rather than just being a 'potential life' whinch never got to experience living and set foot on the Earth. I know the feelings of happiness don't last and nothing seems to last but just the fact that you got to feel these things should be something to appreciate.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I've my occasional existential crises.

I do have some meaning in my life but in truth, I just try to distract myself from those thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so, it's always been like that, even when I was at uni. One day I can be so happy and then the next so miserable it's pathetic to be honest, I don't know what's wrong with me.
    Go and see a doctor this could be a sign of depression and things CAN be better

ReputationRep:
    Join the gym, join a sports club or something, do things that interest you or even move jobs since you have experience.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.