The Student Room Group

BAE National Security Academy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kensei123
Anyone reading this in the future, APPLY NOW.. this was one of the best experiences I've had in an interview. Start at 10 am, ended at 5pm, and every hour was worth it. It's like the apprentice on steroids, split into teams, project managers, a task. All after taking an aptitude and java test as mentioned in the thread. The task really tests your time management.. we really crammed everything in those last 10 minutes. Shoutout to the friendly staff and 1337 powerpoint skills

Have you heard back from them regards your interview day? I’ve been asked to attend the one in March but I’m not sure whether I should go now or after I’ve finished my degree in Computer Science. I have very limited programming experience so I’m not expecting a positive outcome. Are people with degrees getting through this programme?
Reply 41
Original post by futureiseducate79
Have you heard back from them regards your interview day? I’ve been asked to attend the one in March but I’m not sure whether I should go now or after I’ve finished my degree in Computer Science. I have very limited programming experience so I’m not expecting a positive outcome. Are people with degrees getting through this programme?

They say on the interview day that if you pass the tests and have the skills they will employ you as they're recruiting a lot of people this year. All you can do is try your best and it's such a good experience to try out for. I managed to get through past the assessment centre after teaching myself to code in a few weeks! Honestly just give it a go and see how you do as it's such a good programme.
Original post by falccsr
They say on the interview day that if you pass the tests and have the skills they will employ you as they're recruiting a lot of people this year. All you can do is try your best and it's such a good experience to try out for. I managed to get through past the assessment centre after teaching myself to code in a few weeks! Honestly just give it a go and see how you do as it's such a good programme.

Sounds good. Yeah you’re right to just go to the interview will be a good experience anyway. I’ve been learning mostly HTML and CSS so I’m gonna switch tracks and learn as much Java as I can. Do they expect you to know a lot about software development or just Java? What about technical questions?
Reply 43
Sounds good. Yeah you’re right to just go to the interview will be a good experience anyway. I’ve been learning mostly HTML and CSS so I’m gonna switch tracks and learn as much Java as I can. Do they expect you to know a lot about software development or just Java? What about technical questions?

The test is aptitude first and then Java but as long as you have a basic knowledge you'll be fine. Technical questions they mainly ask about your uni projects in regards to coding. It's such a good interview day and you'll learn a lot. Definitely go

Heya mate, yes I was given an offer next day. First things first, be honest, if you don't know something, don't be afraid to admit it.. you'll save yourself the time of looking silly and dishonest. Definitely go through everything on codecademy on Java, learn it, quiz yourself etc (write notes as you go through).

Furthermore, do your own interview research (e.g. common questions asked for a Junior java developer-> java overloading, overwriting etc.. make sure you know your definitions). Make sure you 're active in the group task, and don't be afraid to approach staff and ask questions. Finally, in the technical interview, be honest honest honest. Only talk about what you know in IT, what interests you, and the java revision. Oh and use the paper provided for the aptitude test, it helps. Good luck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I do History & Politics at Nottingham (not Computer related at all, I know) but I love computers and have a very basic knowledge of Python, as well as working in IT Support at Uni.
The lady from QA Consulting called me today, do you think it is worth me pursuing this?
I would love to do it but I have such limited knowledge compared to the rest of you, it seems.
Thanks
Reply 46
Original post by benchapman95
I do History & Politics at Nottingham (not Computer related at all, I know) but I love computers and have a very basic knowledge of Python, as well as working in IT Support at Uni.
The lady from QA Consulting called me today, do you think it is worth me pursuing this?
I would love to do it but I have such limited knowledge compared to the rest of you, it seems.
Thanks

I do history and managed to get offered a place! If they can see you're passionate and have a drive to do the job then thats all you need :smile: and a bit of basic knowledge as well.
Original post by falccsr
I do history and managed to get offered a place! If they can see you're passionate and have a drive to do the job then thats all you need :smile: and a bit of basic knowledge as well.

Thanks! Well done as well.
A basic knowledge of Java specifically? or just a general one?
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated
Reply 48
Original post by benchapman95
Thanks! Well done as well.
A basic knowledge of Java specifically? or just a general one?
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Yeah a basic knowledge of Java but kind of with a general coding one as well. Just show them that you're interested
Hey :smile:
I've managed to get on to the next assessment centre :biggrin: Wondering what sort of Questions are in the tests? Also what was the group exercise like? Any help/advice would be appreciated!
Original post by D3ANSWA1N
Hey :smile:
I've managed to get on to the next assessment centre :biggrin: Wondering what sort of Questions are in the tests? Also what was the group exercise like? Any help/advice would be appreciated!

I've also made it to the assessment day. From what I've gathered, we'll be getting questioned on Java, and other technical questions. Then afterwards, for the majority of the day we will be working on a group project within teams.

btw when is your assessment day?
Hey! :smile: My assessment day is this Thursday, you? Pretty nervous as it's my first ever one. Are you a Uni student? :smile:
Hey! :smile: My assessment day is this Thursday, you? Pretty nervous as it's my first ever one. Are you a Uni student? :smile:

Cool mine is on Thursday as well and yes I am a little nervous as it is my first time going to an assessment day too. I'm a final year student in Computer Science, what about you?
Original post by CoderHodor
Cool mine is on Thursday as well and yes I am a little nervous as it is my first time going to an assessment day too. I'm a final year student in Computer Science, what about you?

Final year student here too, I'm studying Digital Media :smile: I'm really hoping it's going to be a good day and fingers crossed we get the job! Seems like a pretty cool opportunity. Do you know anyone else going? I'm Dean by the way and I'll see you Thursday :smile:
Final year student here too, I'm studying Digital Media :smile: I'm really hoping it's going to be a good day and fingers crossed we get the job! Seems like a pretty cool opportunity. Do you know anyone else going? I'm Dean by the way and I'll see you Thursday :smile:

Nice to meet you Dean and yeh I will catch you on Thursday. And no apart from you, I don't know anyone else going. Also just a quick question, how are you with Java knowledge as that is something which concerns due to me having only basic knowledge?
Nice to meet you Dean and yeh I will catch you on Thursday. And no apart from you, I don't know anyone else going. Also just a quick question, how are you with Java knowledge as that is something which concerns due to me having only basic knowledge?

I've done a bit of Java on my course. I'm no expert but just have a fairly basic knowledge of how to do some stuff. Maybe just watch some videos or something to learn the basics? I don't think they expect us to be expert programmers, more to just have a real interest and enthusiasm to code/learn :smile: That's what I'm hoping anyway.
I've done a bit of Java on my course. I'm no expert but just have a fairly basic knowledge of how to do some stuff. Maybe just watch some videos or something to learn the basics? I don't think they expect us to be expert programmers, more to just have a real interest and enthusiasm to code/learn :smile: That's what I'm hoping anyway.

Yeh I'm hoping the same. The representative I spoke to didn't really put a huge emphasis on Java programming, just the posts I've been reading online have concerned me. But I'm going to watch some videos myself to freshen my memory on Java.
Yeah exactly. Although someone on here did say they didn't really know Java and actually got a job offer, so fingers crossed :smile:
What time are you going to get there for? I'm travelling from Nottingham and with traffic might have to leave eeeaarrrlyyyy D:
Yeah exactly. Although someone on here did say they didn't really know Java and actually got a job offer, so fingers crossed :smile:
What time are you going to get there for? I'm travelling from Nottingham and with traffic might have to leave eeeaarrrlyyyy D:

I'm getting the early train from Leeds and then the tram in Manchester to the conference centre so hopefully if everything goes well, I should be there by half 9. But I'm dreading getting up early, I haven't woken up at 6am in a long time.
I'm getting the early train from Leeds and then the tram in Manchester to the conference centre so hopefully if everything goes well, I should be there by half 9. But I'm dreading getting up early, I haven't woken up at 6am in a long time.

Haha the struggle is real! :')

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending