Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I really good enough for Oxford? (I desperately need advice) Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Whilst there are obviously individual differences (2% does dropout), ALL students enrolled managed, for whatever reason. So the question is whether OP is the 2%, and their chance of being in the 2% is the same, without additional information, as everyone, which is 2%.
    OK, so the important thing is that Oxford has a low drop-out rate. You said that Oxford has the lowEST drop-out rate. Comparing it to other institutions was an unfortunate irrelevance. I take your (revised) point.

Going to Oxford is not a stroll in the park, but it's not as tough as people make it out to be either, especially if you're not aiming for the top grade in everything.
    All I've heard them say is that the workload is heavier than at other universities. I'm very gullible. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pars12)
    OK, so the important thing is that Oxford has a low drop-out rate. You said that Oxford has the lowEST drop-out rate. Comparing it to other institutions was an unfortunate irrelevance. I take your (revised) point.
    I never said that. I said second-lowest.

Second-lowest = low because without a comparison a number is merely a number. There's no absolute, objective standard for what is a good dropout rate. There was never a revised point, just an unreasonably misunderstood one. Whether Oxford is particularly difficult is irrelevant. Of everyone who's enrolled, only less than 2% dropout. Therefore, the chances that they OP would drop out should be assumed as 2%. 2% is very low compared to other universities, and therefore I can reasonably say that they shouldn't worry.

(Original post by Pars12)
    All I've heard them say is that the workload is heavier than at other universities. I'm very gullible. What do you think?
    This is totally irrelevant and merely a way for you to divert the argument so you don't lose everything. But for one last time, I'll entertain you:

1. A person needs to have experienced the same discipline at two universities in the same level in order to make that judgement. Even then, the second degree is going to be easier than the first. Most people don't study at more than one university, most people who say Oxbridge are very tough, here or elsewhere, don't even go to Oxbridge or any university. I'm not aware of any empirical evidence that suggests Oxbridge workload being more than what other universities have.

2. Workloads cannot be reductively compared. For a writer, long contact hours (which Oxbridge don't have) would be tough; for someone who works best with experiments, an essay a week would be tough.

3. Let's say Oxbridge objectively have a much harder workload compared to all other universities, for everyone. What is the work, however? Mostly formative ones. Formative work doesn't fail you - formative work is what's likely to help you to be successful in your degree. Hence, the workload is not what's going to hinder success in the degree, but the thing to facilitate it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know if I'm giving any new insight, but you really shouldn't worry whether you're good enough or not. As everyone says, if they let you in, they (brilliant leading academics in your subject) believe that you are good enough, are you really going to argue with them? BUT anyways, without a doubt, there is a definite feeling of "big fish in a small pond, small fish in a big pond", but guess what, most first years feel that. The truth though, is that you are in a bigger pond and you are constantly surrounded by incredibly intelligent people. But instead of feeling intimidated, just think of a) the interesting people and connections you can make for the future; and b) other people will probably be intimidate by you. I remember that during interviews I thought that Oxford students had some magical power. I discovered that all those people that I was incredibly intimidated by, are actually super nice and down to earth.
    Lastly, the medicine student up there did impress me with his hard work. He has an intense work load, and seems to work really hard. The truth is that, unlike other universities, here you work as hard as you want. You have x number of lectures per week, you decide how many you attend, or how many notes you take. Yes, there is a lot of work, but you decide how much effort you want to put into it, and the quality of work that you want to produce. There will be people who work constantly, and there will be people who won't. My nextdorm neighbour went out every single day for the first four weeks of Michaelmas, for example.
    Basically, I may be biased, because I absolutely love this university and it is a dream come true for me to study here. But, you will end up missing out by declining your offer. It is a unique university experience, and really, Park end wednesdays, Bridge thursdays, kebab van, you DO NOT want to miss out on those.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CWHIT28)
    It is a unique university experience, and really, Park end wednesdays, Bridge thursdays, kebab van, you DO NOT want to miss out on those.
    Amen! :awesome: Though it's all about Branos :hand:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CWHIT28)
    Don't know if I'm giving any new insight, but you really shouldn't worry whether you're good enough or not. As everyone says, if they let you in, they (brilliant leading academics in your subject) believe that you are good enough, are you really going to argue with them? BUT anyways, without a doubt, there is a definite feeling of "big fish in a small pond, small fish in a big pond", but guess what, most first years feel that. The truth though, is that you are in a bigger pond and you are constantly surrounded by incredibly intelligent people. But instead of feeling intimidated, just think of a) the interesting people and connections you can make for the future; and b) other people will probably be intimidate by you. I remember that during interviews I thought that Oxford students had some magical power. I discovered that all those people that I was incredibly intimidated by, are actually super nice and down to earth.
    Lastly, the medicine student up there did impress me with his hard work. He has an intense work load, and seems to work really hard. The truth is that, unlike other universities, here you work as hard as you want. You have x number of lectures per week, you decide how many you attend, or how many notes you take. Yes, there is a lot of work, but you decide how much effort you want to put into it, and the quality of work that you want to produce. There will be people who work constantly, and there will be people who won't. My nextdorm neighbour went out every single day for the first four weeks of Michaelmas, for example.
    Basically, I may be biased, because I absolutely love this university and it is a dream come true for me to study here. But, you will end up missing out by declining your offer. It is a unique university experience, and really, Park end wednesdays, Bridge thursdays, kebab van, you DO NOT want to miss out on those.
    Also the yik yak game is strong af here

ReputationRep:
    A Malcolm Gladwell book, I believe 'David and Goliath' has a chapter regarding universities and the imposter effect, as well as achievements of those getting into high ranked universities versus those getting into lower universities. Those who go to lower ranked universities often do better, however that's primarily scored among the more science-based subjects.

Personally, in your case, I think the fact that you have the imposter effect before even going, rather than having the attitude of "I was the best in my school, so I'm going to be one of the best there" is a good thing. Those who are of the latter type are the ones who will often be in for a huge culture shock and do badly. I haven't been to or applied for Oxford, but I can say that what you're feeling is perfectly normal. I say go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gome44)
    Also the yik yak game is strong af here
    Hmm, it was better before Xmast I'd say. But yea, today during a moral Phil lecture I had a superb bant. And the Brookes students always keep it interesting

ReputationRep:
    its hard to be an egg

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.