Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

An accounting degree at uni Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i am thinking about doing accounting at uni and i am in my first year in college at the moment. What is the difference between doing an appreticeship and uni? I am aware that being an appretice will allow you to get on with the work more quickly. However, some people say that going to uni will give you a greater understand ing of accountancy. I have tried to research for it but i am stikl pretty confused. I didnt take economics or business in my a level. Its just two science based subjects along with maths (mechanics). What is it like doing accpounting at uni because i am interested in going to university of bristol. What do i need to do for the personal statement? I dont have an insight into this profession, i would appreciate it if someone canhelp me out here! Thanks so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lol1415)
    I'm doing accounting at uni so I can speak from experience,

The main thing about going to uni (especially if you're going somewhere like Bristol and the like) is the prestige and reputation of earning a degree from a reputable university on your CV, that's basically it. An apprenticeship would serve you well (I think the big 4 do ones with the AAT), but only really if you want to do raw accounting/audit. If you want to start in other more competitive divisions e.g. corporate finance/consulting in the big 4 or even if you want to go into other professions like banking, a degree from a good uni is the better choice (I think the entry requirements are a 2:1 degree). Plus I think you'll have more fun during the uni experience. There's tons of personal statements online, I can help you if you wish. I didn't do accounting at a level, you pick it up quite easily once it clicks, even better that you've done maths.
    Hi, sorry for the late reply. Do you need to get work experience to do accounting? Thanks .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lol1415)
    Well,this is generally how it works:

1st year: Apply for spring weeks (Most of the big 4 run these programmes - would help if you've done a week with your local accounting firm, but in no way essential. Just do well on the online application form and have competencies to use in examples)
    2nd year: apply for summer internships (Can normally convert from spring weeks if you perform well)

After an internship you should convert this into a full-time offer for when you leave uni. So in terms of work experience, apply for spring weeks. No real work experience is expected at that level. However, try and get something this summer - email local accountancy firms.
    By online application form, you mean personal statement to the univerisity? Also, what sort of stuff are you doing at uni? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I work for a top 20 accountancy firm as a trainee on the ACA scheme and have 3 exams left until I'm qualified. I studied a humanities degree at University and many others in my intake did non related degrees. There has been no correlation between who is good at their jobs / good at passing exams and what degree they did. In fact, a couple of people who have really struggled with the exams / work have been those who have done accounting degrees.

My advice, don't do an accountancy degree. It really limits you, as you may decide later on you don't want to be an accountant. Do a degree that interests you, it will not make any difference to how employable you are to accountancy firms. If you are 100% sure you want to be an accountant then go for the AAT - ACA school leaver schemes that pretty much all the top 20 / big 4 offer. You're going to be in a great position financially (on around £45k) by the age of 22 and have no debt! Of course that means missing out on the uni experience, but you can go travelling for a year once you're qualified because you're always going to extremely employable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsccc12)
    I work for a top 20 accountancy firm as a trainee on the ACA scheme and have 3 exams left until I'm qualified. I studied a humanities degree at University and many others in my intake did non related degrees. There has been no correlation between who is good at their jobs / good at passing exams and what degree they did. In fact, a couple of people who have really struggled with the exams / work have been those who have done accounting degrees.

My advice, don't do an accountancy degree. It really limits you, as you may decide later on you don't want to be an accountant. Do a degree that interests you, it will not make any difference to how employable you are to accountancy firms. If you are 100% sure you want to be an accountant then go for the AAT - ACA school leaver schemes that pretty much all the top 20 / big 4 offer. You're going to be in a great position financially (on around £45k) by the age of 22 and have no debt! Of course that means missing out on the uni experience, but you can go travelling for a year once you're qualified because you're always going to extremely employable.
    Hi thanks for replying, to be honest I am not sure if accounting is what I really want to do at uni.... I am very surprised to find out that people didn't do accouting at uni but still became an accountant. Do you think accounting is a interesting job because I have very little idea about what's like to work in a firm and do you have to overwork a lot? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Some of it's interesting. It certainly gets better after the first year which is pretty tedious to be honest. It also depends what stream of work you are doing. I work in audit and it's certainly something I don't plan on doing after my training contract. But, the thing to remember is becoming a chartered accountant opens so many doors to some very interesting and meaningful jobs so it's definitely worth going for. I'm not sure what you mean by 'overwork'.

ReputationRep:
    I did Accounting as part of my undergraduate degree. It's OK but it gives you no real advantage in terms of exam preparation (currently doing CIMA). It may help with exemptions if you're planning to do the latter, but the content is taught from scratch.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.