Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently a final year student studying an integrated masters in electronic and electrical engineering at Leeds. My supervisor for my final year project has been very impressed with my work and I recently expressed interest in applying for a phd. My supervisor was very supportive of the idea and said that she would strongly recommend me here or, if I wanted, to her friends in Imperial if I were to apply there.

Leeds is an excellent university that publishes a lot of strong research in my field but Imperial is pretty much top of the country and ranked among the very best in the whole world for engineering and so would carry more kudos on my CV. But here's the thing: I love Leeds, I love my friends, my actual home is only 30 minutes away from my student residence, my grandmother lives even closer and aw hell, I'll say it, I even love my supervisor and I would very much enjoy continuing to work with her! But the chance of going to Imperial is not one that is lightly turned down. Leeds is still a pretty strong name in engineering in the UK, so what I would like are opinions on whether the jump from the name 'Leeds' to 'Imperial' on my CV would be worth sacrificing what I already have.

If it matters I would preferably like to work for a large multinational and also want the chance to work abroad after a few years of employment.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed a very hard decision ...
    I am not you, but I would have stayed in Leeds
    (Despite personally rating Imperial 3rd only behind Oxbridge)

All the best
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Tough decision but probably Imperial. It's often good to have PG and UG at different institutions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd look into what kind of projects you'd be doing at each and the funding that would be available. You could also consider doing your Post-doc at Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    From a general point I agree about the comment about different UG/PG institutions. Whilst you don't have to, I think having a variation of institutions/settings shows something about your personality and attitude. I know people who have done their UG/PG/PhD all in succession at the same place and they never manage to leave that academic 'bubble' etc.

ReputationRep:
    Apply to both Unis (and perhaps 4-5 others) and then make your decision once you have received application and funding decisions from them.If both universities admit you and you get similar funding offers from both then I would personally be leaning towards Imperial unless of course the research at Leeds more closely fits your interests.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.