Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

This is my situation:

I have GCSEs and a BTEC National Diploma L3 (not higher education)
    I do not have an undergraduate degree, and have never studied on an undergraduate level course.
    After the BTEC L3 I skipped undergraduate studies and went straight to studying an MA, which I completed.
    I am due to complete a PhD this year.

I self-funded the MA, and had a university scholarship for the PhD, so have never received any support from student finance england, other than the disabled students allowances which I have been awarded for the final year of my PhD studies.

When I finish my PhD I would like to change career, and want to apply to study Architecture at undergraduate level.

Would I be elibigle for a fee loan and maintenance loan?

I know there are some exceptions to the ELQ policy for students receiving DSAs and studying architecture, but I'm not clear how these apply to me. If you are able to clarify this for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    How the heck did you jump from BTEC to an MA? That is crazy.

You will be considered an ELQ student even though you don't have an undergraduate degree. You wouldn't get a tuition fee loan but you would receive a maintenance loan because architecture is on the ELQ-exempt list.

The government is apparently going to relax the ELQ rules for students wishing to do a second degree in a STEM subject from next year and this should in theory apply to you as well. Assuming the government does what it says it will, and assuming architecture falls under the STEM umbrella, you should be able to get a tuition fee loan from 2017.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi

This is correct, there would be the option for a maintenance loan only at present. Please keep checking for updates on: https://www.gov.uk/funding-for-postgraduate-study

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Snufkin and Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, this is very helpful.

You mention relaxations to the ELQ rules. I am aware that there is a new rule that came into effect for courses starting Sept 2015, that allows people studying a part-time second degree in Engineering, Technology or Computer Sciences, to apply for a tuition fee loan. Is this the relaxation you were referring to?

You mention 2017- does this mean the government is planning even further relaxations than those already in place?

If so, do you think Architecture will be included in these? I read that for the rule above, eligible courses in Engineering, Technology and Computer Sciences will be determined by their HESA JACS codes. The course I want to stuy is not classified under these headings, but under Architecture, Building and Planning, and has a K100 code.

I know that Architecture is sometimes considered to be a 'Core STEM' subject - if there are further relaxations planned as you suggest, do you think these will be expanded to include a wider range of STEM subjects, Architecture included?

Thanks again for your help. As I'm sure you understand it isn't easy to find the £45,000 that is costs in tuition fees to qualify as an Architect!

P.S. I'm not sure myself how I skipped for BTEC to MA - I had good grades and professional experience but I think it was a bit of luck/fluke/good timing too!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bmerry8)
    You mention 2017- does this mean the government is planning even further relaxations than those already in place?
    Yes, it was in the autumn statement, although they could still change their mind. If this is definitely going to happen then it will be in the next budget. They will probably use UCAS course codes (click here to see list) to determine what is and isn't a STEM degree. Currently Architecture is counted as a STEM subject and I can't see that changing.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am returning to this thread because I was waiting for the 2016 Budget to be released to see whether they put tuition fee loans for second degrees in STEM subjects in the budget. All they say on the topic is:

'During this parliament, loans will be introduced for level 3 to level 6 training in further education, part-time second degrees in STEM, and postgraduate taught master’s courses'.

In the Autumn 2015 Spending Review and Statement it said:

'For all STEM subjects, tuition loans will be extended to students wishing to a second degree from 2017-18'

Do you (people in the know from Student Finance England) think this means that the statement from the Autumn spending review still stands and that the decision announced in the budget to fund part-time second degrees in STEM subjects is in addition to this? Or does this mean that the decision to start loans for second degrees in STEM subjects is no longer confirmed for the 2017-18 academic year, and when it is introduced it will only be for part-time degrees?

I want to do a full-tim second degree in a STEM subject (Architecture), starting Autumn 2017, so I am trying to make sense of what the government is planning to do in terms of student finance and whether I will be able to get a tuition fee loan as well as a maintenance loan.

If anybody is able to provide any clarity on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bmerry8)
    If anybody is able to provide any clarity on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help.
    We don't know what's happening - the government are being deliberately vague. I suspect we won't know for sure what loans will be available until next year. Perhaps you could email your MP and ask them to clarify the situation?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.