Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

South Asians: Would you marry a South Asian of a different religion? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    Y'all are looouuudddd.
    Seconded

(Original post by The Reality)
    I hold the same value for success and relish achievements, so no complaints there. But it's the family dynamic that I do not understand. I have Indian friends who rush into it so quickly (parental pressure maybe).
    And that's my point. It depends on the family. My family is chill. One of my friends is a Patel, and they kinda expect him to marry another Patel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    oh god, don't start this again.

I mean, I like Punjabi girls, but I know what I want out of my life, and I think only another Gujarati could fit that role. Kind of like an enzyme and a substrate. Punjabis would be like competitive inhibitors for me. lmfao. im such a nerd.
    I'm willing to change the shape of my active site slightly. LOOL, when are you going to get married?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    Y'all are looouuudddd.
    And gabru jawan too 😍

ReputationRep:
    I agree, parenting is a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    If i cant find any wives back home ill only settle for a religious pakistani one im not going to marry no other religion sorry to say

ReputationRep:
    And that's my point. It depends on the family. My family is chill. One of my friends is a Patel, and they kinda expect him to marry another Patel.
    Nah my parents aren't that extreme with Patel marrying a Patel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kandykissesxox)
    I'm willing to change the shape of my active site slightly. LOOL, when are you going to get married?
    ayyyyyyy * nerd fist bump *

Jyare mari jingi ma chhokri aave, tyaare. hahaha

Whatever God has planned for me. XD

ReputationRep:
    Nah my parents aren't that extreme with a Patel marrying a Patel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    I agree, parenting is a big deal.
    That's where everything just goes messed up as I would want my children to be raised as Muslims. However, that would not work out as if I marry a Hindu/Sikh guy he would want them to be raised as Hindus.

Nah my parents aren't that extreme with Patel marrying a Patel.
    Nah, his were like you can only marry Charotar blah blah whatever gaam blah blah Patel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    What makes you think that?

How are we more "fun"? 😮
    The personality in general. I have a lot of Punjabi friends, trust me they're hilarious. In fact my used to be best friend was Punjabi. Also, the weddings are so hyper, I love it. You have to practically drag a guju to dance..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrokenLife)
    That's where everything just goes messed up as I would want my children to be raised as Muslims. However, that would not work out as if I marry a Hindu/Sikh guy he would want them to be raised as Hindus.
    Not necessarily - some Hindu guys might say teach the kids about both religions and let THEM choose, which would be my stance on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    ayyyyyyy * nerd fist bump *

Jyare mari jingi ma chhokri aave, tyaare. hahaha

Whatever God has planned for me. XD
    LOOL well search for one at uni init.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrokenLife)
    And that's something I couldn't compromise on, because being Hindu is what makes me, me. The way I was raised, being Hindu wasn't just a religion, it was a culture, a way of life. My parents aren't religious, but we live Hindu lives... Not sure if you'll understand...

ReputationRep:
    The personality in general. I have a lot of Punjabi friends, trust me they're hilarious. In fact my used to be best friend was Punjabi. Also, the weddings are so hyper, I love it. You have to practically drag a guju to dance..
    You wouldn't be saying that if you saw my cousin's wedding earlier last year - everyone was eager for it to start Lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)
    Not necessarily - some Hindu guys might say teach the kids about both religions and let THEM choose, which would be my stance on it.
    What about things like circumcision?

Abrahamic faiths are pushy. I reckon Hinduism/Sikhism would fall to the wayside in that sort of relationship as they are more passive.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say that's all of us. Me, though, spot on. Unless it's garba/dandiya, I will be the last one on the dance floor- if that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nucdev)
    Oh wow. Well yeah I wouldn't mind that either. After all, there is no compulsion in religion and Islam says that. Children should be able to choose. Being a Muslim myself, I would want my children to be Muslims too but suppose I marry a Hindu guy and we agree on teaching both religions and letting the child chose, that would be okay for me tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dairychocolate)
    What about things like circumcision?

Abrahamic faiths are pushy. I reckon Hinduism/Sikhism would fall to the wayside in that sort of relationship as they are more passive.
    True, that would be one issue, but I guess it also depends on how strict the person belonging to the Abrahamic faith is.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.