Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

South Asians: Would you marry a South Asian of a different religion? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dairychocolate)
    What about things like circumcision?

Abrahamic faiths are pushy. I reckon Hinduism/Sikhism would fall to the wayside in that sort of relationship as they are more passive.
    Yeah, we don't do circumcision, it has no basis in our culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrokenLife)
    That's where everything just goes messed up as I would want my children to be raised as Muslims. However, that would not work out as if I marry a Hindu/Sikh guy he would want them to be raised as Hindus.
    arent u muslim and female? If so your not allowed to marry anyone outside of islam full stop sorry to say, lets be real here its best to commit to a muslim partner

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's good cos now you must present your argument because I'm ready to practice some of my lawyer's skills.
    Can I do it properly in the morning?

(Original post by spv)
    Y'all are looouuudddd.
    (Original post by nucdev)
    Seconded
    True.. Especially when I drink a lot

(Original post by kandykissesxox)
    The personality in general. I have a lot of Punjabi friends, trust me they're hilarious. In fact my used to be best friend was Punjabi. Also, the weddings are so hyper, I love it. You have to practically drag a guju to dance..
    Oh thanks! I love our weddings too. I have some gujurati friends who are pretty mad too, I guess it depends who you find.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    And that's something I couldn't compromise on, because being Hindu is what makes me, me. The way I was raised, being Hindu wasn't just a religion, it was a culture, a way of life. My parents aren't religious, but we live Hindu lives... Not sure if you'll understand...
    No I completely understand you as Islam is a way of life for me too. It makes me me too. Its understandable. But I believe my children shouldn't be forced into a religion just because they were born Muslims. And that would remain the same if I marry a Muslim guy and my children wants to convert to Christianity, I'd be okay with it as its their own choice.

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't be saying that if you saw my cousin's wedding earlier last year - everyone was eager for it to start Lmao
    Don't get me wrong all of the weddings I've been to in India have always been lively but the weddings I've attended in this country are 6/10 dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gul89)
    arent u muslim and female? If so your not allowed to marry anyone outside of islam full stop sorry to say, lets be real here its best to commit to a muslim partner
    I am a Muslim female, Alhumdullilah. I'm pretty sure I'll end up marrying a Muslim male and that would be my first choice too. However, I wouldn't mind marrying a Hindu/Sikh if I emotionally click with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    Can I do it properly in the morning?

True.. Especially when I drink a lot

Oh thanks! I love our weddings too. I have some gujurati friends who are pretty mad too, I guess it depends who you find.
    Kal shayad mere paas time na ho. O Paaji! Hajjay dasu jo dasna ay.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me wrong all of the weddings I've been to in India have always been lively but the weddings I've attended in this country are 6/10 dead.
    I'm talking about a wedding in this country, but yeah I kinda see what you mean. We do need a lot more persuading (by usually a Punjabi DJ) to get on to the dance floor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)
    Yeah, we don't do circumcision, it has no basis in our culture.
    I think it's actually forbidden in Sikhism.

nucdev

True but I find Dharmic texts and cultures more passive in general.

ReputationRep:
    I am a Muslim female, Alhumdullilah. I'm pretty sure I'll end up marrying a Muslim male and that would be my first choice too. However, I wouldn't mind marrying a Hindu/Sikh if I emotionally click with him.
    Of course, but tbh you should forget about marrying emotionally if you dont share the same faith as it will cause some conflict which also could lead emotional and internal conflict, unless they'd be willing to convert.

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking about a wedding in this country, but yeah I kinda see what you mean. We do need a lot more persuading (by usually a Punjabi DJ) to get on to the dance floor.
    The persuasion thing is soo true.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's actually forbidden in Sikhism.

nucdev

True but I find Dharmic texts and cultures more passive in general.
    Yup not part of Hinduism either.

Dharmic faiths are more about a personal journey where nothing is fixed - you're allowed to think for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    True but I find Dharmic texts and cultures more passive in general.[/QUOTE]

It's because they are. I've mentioned earlier that Hinduism isn't just a religion. It's a culture, a faith, a way of life. You can be religiously, idk Zoroastrian, yet live a Hindu lifestyle. There aren't really any rules. haha

ReputationRep:
    Dharmic faiths are more about a personal journey where nothing is fixed - you're allowed to think for yourself.[/QUOTE]

yesss!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yup not part of Hinduism either.

Dharmic faiths are more about a personal journey where nothing is fixed - you're allowed to think for yourself.
    Ooh, that seems like an implied insult to Abrahamic religions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spv)

Sort out the quoting m88888

ReputationRep:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gul89)
    Of course, but tbh you should forget about marrying emotionally if you dont share the same faith as it will cause some conflict which also could lead emotional and internal conflict, unless they'd be willing to convert.
    Yeah I see your point. But tbh I would never want a guy to convert just for me. I think that's extremely unfair to him and ridiculous. If I ever like a Hindu/Sikh/Christian guy it would not be because of his religion but rather because of him. Hence, wouldn't want him to change his religion just to be me with and neither would I ever change my religion just for him. I guess if two people really love each other, they can compromise on that.

ReputationRep:
    Lmao it's true though - they're presented with a book "here follow it and you'll reach heaven".

ReputationRep:
    Sort out the quoting m88888
    HAHAHAHAHA

eh, tane kon puchyu?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.