Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why amni embarassangly loud? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ok, its a problem ive noted for a while but is really irritating. I am an Asian guy who spends most of his time alone, yet when I'm in public situations, I tend to be quite loud (what's weird is that whenever I talk to someone, everyone else seems to stop talking yet everytime I try talking with purpose peoplequietly ignore and chat over). Yesterday, a relative of mine passed away and I kept having people tell me to shut up coz I was a bit loud chatting about cricket upstairs ( in fairness I could hear people from different floors and rooms chatting similar stuff- but still it is an annoying Asian problem) Is there a way I can reduce my volume without being unheard?(if I talk quietly nobody can understand a single thing- really bad when I'm at work as communication is vital)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranchovirus)
    ok, its a problem ive noted for a while but is really irritating. I am an Asian guy who spends most of his time alone, yet when I'm in public situations, I tend to be quite loud (what's weird is that whenever I talk to someone, everyone else seems to stop talking yet everytime I try talking with purpose peoplequietly ignore and chat over). Yesterday, a relative of mine passed away and I kept having people tell me to shut up coz I was a bit loud chatting about cricket upstairs ( in fairness I could hear people from different floors and rooms chatting similar stuff- but still it is an annoying Asian problem) Is there a way I can reduce my volume without being unheard?(if I talk quietly nobody can understand a single thing- really bad when I'm at work as communication is vital)
    Why can't they hear you if you speak quieter? Are you speaking too quietly in which case you need to work on an intermediate volume. Or are you not annunciating enough so that people don't understand unless you shout?

Figure out the problem and go from there!

ReputationRep:
    maybe stand further away from people you are talking to/shouting at ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neostigmine)
    Why can't they hear you if you speak quieter? Are you speaking too quietly in which case you need to work on an intermediate volume. Or are you not annunciating enough so that people don't understand unless you shout?

Figure out the problem and go from there!
    cheers, I have actually improved a lot prettymuch, my intermediate voice is too quiet for most people as I have noted that a lot of people who have difficulties listening to me do so because a) too much ambient noise (asian and african people are really loud lol, i am no acception (3/4 indian, 1/4 zanzibaari)and b) a lot of people who listen to music on headphones constantly are the ones with difficulties listening, whereas those who listen to music/tv at a lower volume are able to hear me perfectly. I have noted in quiet rooms, i cn talk normally but in ambient environments with asian/black people I am loud because I am trying to outspeak them lol.

p.s. do you/someone u know suffer from a form of dementia (your name is a drug commonly used for alzheimers patients, as well as other dementia conditions and neuro conditions)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    nah, its more a matter of being heard in a crowd without the crowd hearing you lol. one on 1 is ok, but in ambient noise im too loud (namely trying to speak above others)

ReputationRep:
    I wish i was loud tbh.ppl cant hear me.thats why im on tsr typing...

ReputationRep:
    beats mild-to-moderate social anxiety disorder (Y)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.