Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it worth taking a second year off in order to get into a better university? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I finished my BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT last year with grades DDD and I'm looking to study Computer Science at university. Unfortunately I messed up my GCSE's while I was in school and ended up with grades E in English and E math - terrible, I know. However, I do have both Functional Skills Level 2 qualifications in these subjects.

Anyway, I decided to enrol myself in a GCSE math course which consists of 36 weeks and ultimately allows me to re-sit my GCSE math exam in June. Based on past papers that I’ve done this year, I’m working at a grade C on the foundation paper, and almost a grade C on the higher paper with 4 months left to go till my exam. I’m feeling confident that I’ll obtain a grade C or above – but that’s not my biggest concern.

My biggest concern is that I wanted to re-sit my GCSE English exam this year too but my college decided to stop their GCSE English language course this academic year; as they felt there wasn’t much of a demand for it. Instead, they moved the course to their second campus which is 16 miles away and approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes long via public transport. Bear in mind that these courses are evening-based and finish at 9 o’clock in the evening, there would be no way for me to travel back home. After speaking with the receptionist at my college, she had told me that the course is likely to be reinstated in the next academic year.

Based on what I've said, do you think it would be worth taking another year off or not?

Kind regards,
    zxr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxr)
    Hey all,

I finished my BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT last year with grades DDD and I'm looking to study Computer Science at university. Unfortunately I messed up my GCSE's while I was in school and ended up with grades E in English and E math - terrible, I know. However, I do have both Functional Skills Level 2 qualifications in these subjects.

Anyway, I decided to enrol myself in a GCSE math course which consists of 36 weeks and ultimately allows me to re-sit my GCSE math exam in June. Based on past papers that I’ve done this year, I’m working at a grade C on the foundation paper, and almost a grade C on the higher paper with 4 months left to go till my exam. I’m feeling confident that I’ll obtain a grade C or above – but that’s not my biggest concern.

My biggest concern is that I wanted to re-sit my GCSE English exam this year too but my college decided to stop their GCSE English language course this academic year; as they felt there wasn’t much of a demand for it. Instead, they moved the course to their second campus which is 16 miles away and approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes long via public transport. Bear in mind that these courses are evening-based and finish at 9 o’clock in the evening, there would be no way for me to travel back home. After speaking with the receptionist at my college, she had told me that the course is likely to be reinstated in the next academic year.

Based on what I've said, do you think it would be worth taking another year off or not?

Kind regards,
    zxr
    You do realize that some of the best universities offering Comp Sci will have students who have an 'A' grade in A Level Maths, right? Some might even have Further Maths, too.

I don't know much about Comp Sci, but I know that Maths is an important part of it. I wouldn't really recommend going for it at a top university if you're doing foundational level GCSE Maths.... /:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m_james)
    You do realize that some of the best universities offering Comp Sci will have students who have an 'A' grade in A Level Maths, right? Some might even have Further Maths, too.

I don't know much about Comp Sci, but I know that Maths is an important part of it. I wouldn't really recommend going for it at a top university if you're doing foundational level GCSE Maths.... /:
    I'm taking the higher paper, and I'm not looking to go for a top 20 university. I'm looking to go to a mid-league university which all require grades C or above in GCSE English and mathematics, i.e. Brunel University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxr)
    Hey all,

Kind regards,
    zxr
    I'm sorry but I'm going to be honest. Without atleast C in Maths & English you aren't going to go far in terms of job prospects. It's definitely worth waiting on obtaining the grades mentioned before stepping up to university. Like the guy previously motioned you are unlikely to get on a Computer Science degree with these grades.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.