The Student Room Group

Life as an LGBT student at British Unis?

Hello!

I am an international student starting at LSE this year and was wondering how life as a homosexual at British Unis is.

Have there been any cases of discrimination?

Best,
XY
From what I've heard, Unis tend to be one of the more "relaxed" places for young LGBTs. Many welcome the chance to experiment, or at least be more liberal than they would have been at home.

Most will have an LGBT society for the purposes of organising social events etc., as well as the opportunity to get involved with Pride events.

Also, most gay venues around the country run regular student nights, where the bar will only be open to students one night a week to provide a safe place to be.

Whereabouts in the world are you from if you don't mind me asking? Might help in terms of comparing :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by tiffin_bits
From what I've heard, Unis tend to be one of the more "relaxed" places for young LGBTs. Many welcome the chance to experiment, or at least be more liberal than they would have been at home.

Most will have an LGBT society for the purposes of organising social events etc., as well as the opportunity to get involved with Pride events.

Also, most gay venues around the country run regular student nights, where the bar will only be open to students one night a week to provide a safe place to be.

Whereabouts in the world are you from if you don't mind me asking? Might help in terms of comparing :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply!

You actually made a good point there. As universities normally tend to be more liberal socially it might be a good place to be open about one's sexuality. Plus, the uni is situated in one of the most liberal, diverse and cosmopolitan places in the world - sure, there will be idiots - as will be everywhere - but generally I suppose that the General attitude is different from what I have experienced in a Country as catholic as Austria.

It's not that every Austrian is homophobic, I came out to everbody a couple of months ago and everything was fine, really. But there definitely is some more to do here for Society as a whole.

I am not very much of a Pride Parade attendee, so that doesn't really Appeal to me. Rather, I want the uni to be generally open in everyday life.

Where do you study, tiffin_bits?
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much for your reply!

You actually made a good point there. As universities normally tend to be more liberal socially it might be a good place to be open about one's sexuality. Plus, the uni is situated in one of the most liberal, diverse and cosmopolitan places in the world - sure, there will be idiots - as will be everywhere - but generally I suppose that the General attitude is different from what I have experienced in a Country as catholic as Austria.

It's not that every Austrian is homophobic, I came out to everbody a couple of months ago and everything was fine, really. But there definitely is some more to do here for Society as a whole.

I am not very much of a Pride Parade attendee, so that doesn't really Appeal to me. Rather, I want the uni to be generally open in everyday life.

Where do you study, tiffin_bits?

Don't get me wrong, there are still elements of homophobia in the UK, but I suppose some communities are worse than others for it.

At the moment I'm not studying - I aim to begin in Sept '17. As to where, I'm still looking at my options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending