The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

why do you like KCL

hi
I've applied KCL few weeks ago,and looking forward to hear back...
I would like to ask why do you like KCL?
Reply 1
Hiya! I'm a current King's student and I love it! I really wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

I like it for a couple of reasons:
- my course is exactly what I want to do (I'm doing Global Health and Social Medicine), and it took dropping out of my first choice university, doing online courses, taking a year out to find it, so enjoying what I'm doing is such a plus
- the department that I'm part of is so supportive. I've had a lot of medical problems which have impacted my study, but they've been incredibly understanding, and have really taken a personal interest in supporting me and making sure I'm working to the best of my ability. They want their students to do well, they're not here to raise the bar to impossible heights
- It's in London! And London is amazing. There's always something to do, whether that's going to a gallery or museum (often free), a talk or academic event (also often free), or just to wander around, busy being amazed by how you live in a postcard
- The careers department is fab. Everyone's there to help, and they seem to want you to be able to get a job as much as you do. From doing mock interviews to helping fix your CV, they'll help you out. King's also has its own exclusive job and internship site, making it easier to find opportunities during and post study.
- The people are so nice. I always thought making friends was difficult, but having lived in student halls and being on such a small and lovely course, I've found it hard to not make friends! Through societies (even formed my own society), being involved in theatre, helping out the staff in the department.. There are so many people who seem to want to get to know you.

Hope this helps!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by TiaTime93
Hiya! I'm a current King's student and I love it! I really wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

- my course is exactly what I want to do (I'm doing Global Health and Social Medicine), and it took dropping out of my first choice university, doing online courses, taking a year out to find it, so enjoying what I'm doing is such a plus
- the department that I'm part of is so supportive. I've had a lot of medical problems which have impacted my study, but they've been incredibly understanding, and have really taken a personal interest in supporting me and making sure I'm working to the best of my ability. They want their students to do well, they're not here to raise the bar to impossible heights
- It's in London! And London is amazing. There's always something to do, whether that's going to a gallery or museum (often free), a talk or academic event (also often free), or just to wander around, busy being amazed by how you live in a postcard
- The careers department is fab. Everyone's there to help, and they seem to want you to be able to get a job as much as you do. From doing mock interviews to helping fix your CV, they'll help you out. King's also has its own exclusive job and internship site, making it easier to find opportunities during and post study.
- The people are so nice. I always thought making friends was difficult, but having lived in student halls and being on such a small and lovely course, I've found it hard to not make friends! Through societies (even formed my own society), being involved in theatre, helping out the staff in the department.. There are so many people who seem to want to get to know you.

Hope this helps!

This sums it very well. Most of this can apply for me too (I'm a second year Biomed student) :yy:
Reply 3
Hello! I'm currently in my second year at King's and I'm an ambassador for my subject (Geography) so I thought I might be able to give a useful response.

My course is incredibly varied and allows me to tailor my degree to meet my interests, for instance this term I'm taking a module from a different department! The lecturers are experts in the field and are incredibly enthusiastic and helpful. The department itself is always quick to answer questions you may have and is always putting on events including guest speakers, panel discussions and careers talks. On the point of careers, King's generally is especially great for this. You can attend talks, workshops, Q&As, one-to-one consultations etc. - things like this have opened my eyes to opportunities I wasn't previously aware of.

There are various campuses around the city and they're all in great locations. You have access to all of them regardless of your course so can use their libraries, cafes, social spaces etc.

And obviously, being in London is amazing. You're in close proximity to many industries in which you may be aspiring to work in in the future and therefore have access to a range of internships and work experience schemes. There are countless things on offer whether educational or not (I've been an audience member for TV shows, visited the Houses of Parliament and watched Prime Minister's Questions - all for free) and you'll never tire of discovering new places.

In terms of meeting new people, living in halls of residence in my first year really helped, although I did meet most of closet friends on my course and through mutual friends. You don't need to have any worries - just be friendly and open minded and all will be fine!

I hope this helps a little!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by kclgeog
Hello! I'm currently in my second year at King's and I'm an ambassador for my subject (Geography) so I thought I might be able to give a useful response.

My course is incredibly varied and allows me to tailor my degree to meet my interests, for instance this term I'm taking a module from a different department! The lecturers are experts in the field and are incredibly enthusiastic and helpful. The department itself is always quick to answer questions you may have and is always putting on events including guest speakers, panel discussions and careers talks. On the point of careers, King's generally is especially great for this. You can attend talks, workshops, Q&As, one-to-one consultations etc. - things like this have opened my eyes to opportunities I wasn't previously aware of.

There are various campuses around the city and they're all in great locations. You have access to all of them regardless of your course so can use their libraries, cafes, social spaces etc.

And obviously, being in London is amazing. You're in close proximity to many industries in which you may be aspiring to work in in the future and therefore have access to a range of internships and work experience schemes. There are countless things on offer whether educational or not (I've been an audience member for TV shows, visited the Houses of Parliament and watched Prime Minister's Questions - all for free) and you'll never tire of discovering new places.

In terms of meeting new people, living in halls of residence in my first year really helped, although I did meet most of closet friends on my course and through mutual friends. You don't need to have any worries - just be friendly and open minded and all will be fine!

I hope this helps a little!

Thanks a lot...still have to wait about 2 weeks to hear back!!hope I'll pass.Can't wait to live in London~~~
Reply 5
Original post by TiaTime93

Hope this helps!

Thank you!!!!it helps a lot~still have to wait about 2 weeks to hear back...hope there's a good news for me:wink:
Hi!

Nice to hear that you're interested in King's.
I am a first year student at King's, studying International Relations. I think my course is really interesting and inspiring. So far I have learnt so much, and I am really pleased with choosing this course. My professors and tutors are all really good, they know a lot about each topic and they are always willing to help me if I don't understand everything.

As the previous people have mentioned above, London is a really amazing city to live in, and just full of opportunities! I really love being in the city where so many important and exciting things are constantly happening. I got to visit an embassy during my first term at King's, which was a great experience. Even if it's an expensive city, it is definitely worth it as there is so much to do. King's also arrange a lot of events, which makes it possibly to learn even more about the topics that interest you the most, and listen to talks by experts within those areas.

In addition, I just think that people at King's are so friendly and helpful. No matter if you live in halls or your own flat, there are still many ways to make friends and socialize, especially if you join a society (there are so many different ones that I'm sure you'll find one you like!).

Good luck with your application. Hope to see you at King's next year!
Reply 7
Original post by kclemelie
Hi!

I am a first year student at King's, studying International Relations. I think my course is really interesting and inspiring. So far I have learnt so much, and I am really pleased with choosing this course. My professors and tutors are all really good, they know a lot about each topic and they are always willing to help me if I don't understand everything.

As the previous people have mentioned above, London is a really amazing city to live in, and just full of opportunities! I really love being in the city where so many important and exciting things are constantly happening. I got to visit an embassy during my first term at King's, which was a great experience. Even if it's an expensive city, it is definitely worth it as there is so much to do. King's also arrange a lot of events, which makes it possibly to learn even more about the topics that interest you the most, and listen to talks by experts within those areas.

In addition, I just think that people at King's are so friendly and helpful. No matter if you live in halls or your own flat, there are still many ways to make friends and socialize, especially if you join a society (there are so many different ones that I'm sure you'll find one you like!).

Looking forward to get the offer....2 weeks seems so long :frown:
Reply 8
Hello!

I have to say many of the things I wanted to mention initially have already been covered, but there's one thing I didn't see yet! I'm a final year student myself and, for me, there is one thing specifically that has been very useful for me and possible because of King's - the networks.

I'm doing a degree related to politics and through KCL and the networks the department has both in the academic and policy world have provided me access to many events that I could have not imagined to attend otherwise. It's a great way to get to know the field you are studying beyond academia already while you are a student as well as look for internship and other opportunities out there. And of course, London is the place to be for that too :smile:

Good luck with your application!
Reply 9
Original post by Eloska
Hello!

I have to say many of the things I wanted to mention initially have already been covered, but there's one thing I didn't see yet! I'm a final year student myself and, for me, there is one thing specifically that has been very useful for me and possible because of King's - the networks.

I'm doing a degree related to politics and through KCL and the networks the department has both in the academic and policy world have provided me access to many events that I could have not imagined to attend otherwise. It's a great way to get to know the field you are studying beyond academia already while you are a student as well as look for internship and other opportunities out there. And of course, London is the place to be for that too :smile:

Good luck with your application!

Thank you~~~so exciting to be there and hope my application goes well !!! :smile:
Original post by kclemelie
Hi!

As someone who just accepted my unconditional offer for International Relations at King's, you've just made me even more excited to begin in September. What would you say is the most interesting part of the course?
Hi!

I've seen that a few of you are doing the global health and social medicine degree at kings currently, and i am hoping to apply in September. As it is a unique course, I was wondering if you had any tips for personal statements? And what other degrees did you apply for as this course is only run by two other unis?? Thanks I'd appreciate the help!!:smile:
Reply 12
Just stepping in the thread... what's like mathematics with management and finance at KCL?

Quick Reply

Latest