Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

David Cameron on UK Muslim Communities: "We won’t let women be second-class citizens" Watch

• View Poll Results: Should migrants be deported if their English doesn't improve after a couple of years?
    Yes
    65.66%
    Nein!
    34.34%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Explain to me how middle class Saudis are going to work here if they cannot speak English?
    In the KSA sponsored Islamic institutions (mosques/cultural centres etc) that have been springing up all over Europe, peut-être

YOU BETTER BLOODY LEARN ENGLISH AND EARN A LIVING LIKE THE REST OF US. VERY VERY SIMPLE
    Unfortunately it hasn't quite worked out that way. 50%-75% of Muslims in the UK are economically inactive, standards of English among immigrants is highly variable (whether legal, illegal, settled, new arrivals), and non-EEA migrants impose a net fiscal cost on our public finances of c.£16bn p.a.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Same way middle clash English people work in other countries when they can not speak an ounce of the native language
    You won't find many in KSA fam, lettuce be reality :tea:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    He already has, by not banning the burqa he as allowed young Muslim women to feel pressured to make the decision to wear the burqa by men in their communities; by not prosecuting more parents of girls who have suffered from FGM he is denouncing FGM as a minor issue; by continuing to recognise polygamous marriages performed in other countries Britain is legitimising the practice of allowing men to use women as objects; and by prosecuting one of 1200 cases of forced marriages discovered each year, Britain is declaring it does not take seriously right of individual to choose their partner, in cases where it tends to be a woman traded for marriage, Britain is saying women's rights do not matter, fathers have a right to treat their daughters as property, and women should stop complaining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    LMFAO How on earth do English people work in other countries without knowing the language my dear?
    Um.. with sign language? :borat:

Spoiler:
    Show
    It's the international business/institutional language, to be fair, so it's perfectly possible, but that makes us a special case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    If some Brits don't do it abroad, that's regrettable but take it up with them
    Well said. These libtards be all 'two wrongs make a right' :dunce:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon_g)
    unless they will adopt and assimilate into the local culture. there are better and worse cultures; claiming all are equally good "but different" is a multiculturalism fallacy
    Well smashed, Sir :top2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    doesn't fit into the persecution he's dreamt up on behalf of other people who most likely don't even care
    Haha, true. My opinion of SJW's diminishes by the day. What a bunch of sad-act, utterly misdirected wannabe do gooders :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    Just seems like a move to convince people to remain in the EU
    Tad abstract, and mission failed at any rate

It will do very little to aid integration problems
    Might help them integrate a bit but the problem is not just language but also total mismatch re: values, culture, and way of life, I take your point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Cameron drastically cut access to said English classes for female immigrants a few years ago
    Along with many, many other 'efficiencies', in the context of public debt now totalling £1,600,000,000,000+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhìteLìvesMatter)
    Conservative party support mass immigration

Labour party support mass immigration

Where's the Democracy when both sides support this?
    Pretty much the sentiment of Mr. 'Death to Traitors, Freedom for Britain' (far-right killer of Jo Cox). The political elites absolutely have to engage with the inconvenient truth that is the widespread rejection of out of touch elites running the show to the detriment of working people e.g. a la global capitalism > globalisation > Crony Capitalism > mass immigration > 'failed state multiculturalism' (Cameron, 2011)

If they fail to do so then, as I have been cautioning for some time now, Breivik (and now Thomas Mair) will be followed by others, inter-community divisions, distrust, tension, and frictions, as well as hate crime within this thematic, will increase more generally, and it will be members of migrant communities that suffer, first and foremost

As far as I'm concerned, this steam can only be let off if the powers that be either get on board with the above and implement policy that reflects it, or else pursue a much needed electoral reform agenda e.g. that will give parties like UKIP space to represent the true will of the people (dampening the insidious growing sense of political disenfranchisement/frustration/appetites for 'freedom fighting' [domestic extremism])

It's not an issue in the rest of the world, because they're smart enough not to flood their countries with immigration of other people different to them.
    True of Japan, but other than that I'm afraid it is a pattern that the 'divide and conquer' (or in this case, divide and cage') elites are more than happy to see play out across the developed world (albeit that the tide is turning in places like Switzerland/Australia)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)

As far as I'm concerned, this steam can only be let off if the powers that be either get on board with the above and implement policy that reflects it, or else pursue a much needed electoral reform agenda e.g. that will give parties like UKIP space to represent the true will of the people (taking the wind out of growing appetites for 'freedom fighting' [domestic extremism])
    So, just to be clear then, you are confirming Farage's previous threats that UKIP will turn to violence if it doesn't get its own way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    So, just to be clear then, you are confirming Farage's previous threats that UKIP will turn to violence if it doesn't get its own way?
    1) I am not in the business of making "threats". I perspicaciously model social science phenomena and make prescient predictions based thereupon

2) I am a politically independent e.g. non-aligned/affiliated, Fourth Way pragmatic pluralist; ergo, I do not support or speak for any particular party

3) I'm unaware of any such threats made by Farage, do you have any links for me?

ReputationRep:
    1) I am not in the business of making "threats". I perspicaciously model social science phenomena and make prescient predictions based thereupon

2) I am a politically independent e.g. non-aligned/affiliated, Fourth Way pragmatic pluralist; ergo, I do not support or speak for any particular party

3) I'm unaware of any such threats made by Farage, do you have any links for me?
    I find it puzzling that you're unaware of it, as it's been repeatedly discussed here.

Farage clearly implied it in May.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b0328a838b8c9c

It's no surprise, as he's an old Monday Club Tory from the days when generals and Thatcherites planned military coups if they could not get their own way and impose a Chilean-style repressive capitalism.

Farage is the real victor of current events, he is living proof that Britain is not immune from neo-fascist movements. He also represents the final victory of the Monday Club, which was formed in Claridges with the stated aim of destroying working class political fronts and making neoliberalism permanent. They controlled the police from a suite in that sumptuous hotel during the Miner's Strike, illegally turning it into a national paramilitary force.

ReputationRep:
    I find it puzzling that you're unaware of it, as it's been repeatedly discussed here
    I've been busy campaigning (for Vote Leave, not Leave.EU), and not kept abreast of TSR developments, this past month or two, my bad

Farage clearly implied it in May
    You can't imply a threat dear. The article title is more responsible, the editorial team having gone with 'predicts'. This is not a new prediction either, nor is it a great intellectual leap from earlier predictions made by the likes of me (3 years ago):

There is only one way this can go really. We’ll continue to see segregation, friction, sporadic violence/rioting/terror and insurgency, and a (radical/violent) counter-insurgency will likely emerge (EDL 2.0), which takes us down the road to civil disorder, a wave of hate crime, and possibly even race war
    Farage is the real victor of current events
    Agreed. UKIP's ranks/support-base will swell when it dawns on the public that the Tories don't have the leadership/backbone to take us out of the EU and execute the Democratically mandated end of free movement for 'EU citizens' (applaud Cameron's attempt to hardball the EU on this issue)

he is living proof that Britain is not immune from neo-fascist movements
    Whilst they may draw on similar right-wing sentiments, libertarians are in key respects the antithesis of fascists, as you know full well

the Monday Club, which was formed in Claridges
    Claridges? Shock horror! Those superior subversive swines ought to have convened in the BT tower, like any respectable super-villain group!

Spoiler:
    Show
    That a (presumably white) Oxford PPE grad (from a presumably comfortably off background) working in/constantly bumming London, can be so arbitrarily anti-privilege (that typifies the institutional heart of the capital), rather tickles me :mmm:

They controlled the police from a suite in that sumptuous hotel during the Miner's Strike, illegally turning it into a national paramilitary
    Ah those were the days! When we didn't have to untangle ourselves from red tape (emphasis on red) in order to get things done!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Just kidding

Spoiler:
    Show
    Kinda..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Indian isn't a language
    Goodness Gracious Me! :bhangra:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Hope I didn't offend you liberal cuck
    Dude, people in glass houses:mute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    Try finding a speech where our PM was critical of segregationist policies towards those of other faiths
    I'll take your word for it. The same standard ought to be applied across the board

If the Muslims donated millions of pounds to the Conservative Party, there wouldn't be as many attacks on Muslims in this country by politicians
    True, but that merely speaks of the corrupt nature of our political system, and does not detract from the valid criticism of relevant paralysingly patriarchal Muslim communities

ReputationRep:
    I said yes because I fundamentally believe that regardless of your race, religion, gender, beliefs etc., when you enter into another country, you learn to respect their beliefs. If I went to France and lived there, I would learn about French history and language. If I went to Japan, I would learn Japanese customs and language. If I went to Saudi Arabia, I would be expected to do the same. Either you are conducive to the countries laws, culture and language or you get out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katinthehat)
    Their heritage will be different and they have every right to be proud of its difference
    See here's the thing: we're supposed to recognise, respect, and celebrate the distinct, diverse heritage of immigrant peoples, yet we're also supposed to act as if they are exactly the same as the rest of us and are, furthermore, expected to ignore/suppress almost any semblance/vestige of our own British/English ethno-cultural heritage and related pride. No wonder people (on all sides) are so confused re: the politics of identity

you cannot proclaim a culture being "bad" as a fact
    You can proclaim as near as damn it. Some (ethno)cultures are relatively orderly, pro-social, inclusive, and dignified, others more anarchic, iniquitous, divisive, and uncouth. There's a reason that black people are 7 times, and Muslims 3.25 times, overrepresented in our prison population

People wonder why we have terrorist attacks left right and centre when all we do and continue to do is demonize everything/act as if they don't even matter
    Unfortunately Islamist extremism has taken on something of a self-fulfilling prophecy in this regard, but there's some truth in what you say (albeit difficult to disambiguate a la counter-factual). The problem is that the media cannot be expected to censor the identities of the perpetrators of atrocities, and the public cannot be expected not to pick up on trends e.g. Rochdale/Rotherham, Cologne, 9/11, 7/7, Madrid, Paris, Brussels etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katinthehat)
    So to add to the trauma .. they may have to study a foreign language?
    Granted, for me learning French was somewhat 'traumatic' but, jokes aside, methinks if the diaspora can cross continents in search of a better life then they can learn the lingo e.g. as an integral part of making that better life happen :yy:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.