Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Effectiveness of British government counter terrorist strategies since 2000. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm currently doing an essay on the effectiveness of British government counter terrorist strategies since 2000. I'm trying to think of viable points to make, so far i have:
    Terrorism Act 2000
    The Anti-Terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001
    CONTEST - Counter terrorist strategy
    Terrorism Act 2006
    Intelligence (MI5)

I was wondering if you can point out any vital points I have missed out, I would really appreciate it, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Bramley)
    Hi all, I'm currently doing an essay on the effectiveness of British government counter terrorist strategies since 2000. I'm trying to think of viable points to make, so far i have:
    Terrorism Act 2000
    The Anti-Terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001
    CONTEST - Counter terrorist strategy
    Terrorism Act 2006
    Intelligence (MI5)

I was wondering if you can point out any vital points I have missed out, I would really appreciate it, thanks
    Read David Anderson's website:

https://terrorismlegislationreviewer...blished-today/

Look at the previous work of Lord Carlile, doing the same job.

Search some of the work of Kent Roach, University of Toronto.

Search work of Clive Walker, University of Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    If you are looking at the overall effectiveness of theGovernment’s Anti-Terror Strategies it may pay to look at some of the negativeswhich have risen as a result of some of these policies. For example, you could makesome points on the effects these have on some of the communities within the UKe.g. Muslims, Jews, Black-British etc. There has been a lot of hate aimed atminority groups as a result of a heightened fear of terror, attacks onindividuals, religious places of worships etc. just to name a couple. How, ifat all, can this be linked to the terror strategies the British Government andher services? Finally, a recent bit of legislation recently passed in 2015 wasThe Counter Terrorism and Security Act 2015 (as referenced above) which somehave viewed as invasive, discriminative and potentially quite dangerous. I would never usually use Wikipedia as a source but it may be a good place tostart in this example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-Terrorism_and_Security_Act_2015. Finally, one other slightly controversial programme the Government has produced in the wake of the 7/7 bombings was The 'Channel' scheme used to de-radicalise children which has seen hundreds of referalls and appears to be year on year increasing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35360375. Hope this helps J

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.