bjc1201
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm in my second year at uni and I'm so unhappy, I feel constantly homesick and I cry all the time because of it. I enjoy my course but I'm wondering if uni is making me this unhappy is it even worth it anymore? The problem is, to become a psychologist I need to have gone to university, and my uni is one of very few that offer a placement year as well.- any advice??
Khadijah489
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You've come this far, its your second year, personally, if that was me, I would just go for it. Have you tried talking to the student support services thingy? I'm sure they help you with this type of stuff and give you guidance or something. It's definitely worth it if you keep going, you've got nothing to lose. I think the distance is having a bad effect on you, is it too late for you to transfer to a different uni for your last year?
bjc1201
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Khadijah489)
You've come this far, its your second year, personally, if that was me, I would just go for it. Have you tried talking to the student support services thingy? I'm sure they help you with this type of stuff and give you guidance or something. It's definitely worth it if you keep going, you've got nothing to lose. I think the distance is having a bad effect on you, is it too late for you to transfer to a different uni for your last year?
I'm not sure, the trouble is im about to apply for a placement year, which I have considered going back home for but where I live there's not as many psychology opportunities and I'm worried if I do it at home then when I come back for my final year I won't have anywhere to live
stefano865
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Dropping out would not be the end of the world.

I guess it depends how badly you want to become a psychologist and whether it is worth battling on through uni to make that happen.

Are you lonely at uni? Nobody can replace family but to be that homesick in the second year suggests that things have maybe not worked out socially for you.

Talk to your university about how you feel. Maybe they can help. I think you need to get to the root of why you feel so unhappy.

I'm not going to give you the usual BS 'join clubs' advice. If you can't improve the situation where you are then perhaps try to transfer somewhere closer to home.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...ng-for-me.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/student...s-8532984.html

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...demia-training
Khadijah489
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If that's the case then you might as well look elsewhere to do your placement year, since there aren't a lot of opportunities around your house. Also, its only one year, it'll go by pretty fast and before you know it, you'll be in your final year and you won't have to worry about not having anywhere to live. Try ringing your family, you'll feel much better (BTW, I have been told that I'm the worst person to go to for advice, hope I have helped anyway lol if not, then sorry haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (53)
25.85%
No (152)
74.15%

Watched Threads