The Student Room Group

Tips when looking for new housemates

So, as the end of first semester approaches for freshers, then it is that time of year where it is time to choose who they are going to live with next year. I was wondering, do you have any good tips for choosing who to live with?
Reply 1
Stick to other students, preferably mixed gender. The one time I accepted a place with non-students all hell broke loose.
From what I know of its important to only with those that you can trust.
Be careful when dealing with non-friends and make sure that they are trustworthy as all it takes is one person for your belongings to get stolen.
Try and avoid those that are known to be loud, my family have really empathised how crucial it is to get good sleep and be able to get work done during the day.
Its about trust bigtime and is very important to choose wisely.
Reply 4
The three tasks of housemate-dom.
Reply 5
Be honest with yourself, can you see yourself being friends with the people for the next year? Choose reliable people who you know can manage their money well, as you may be responsible if they don't pay their rent. And also try and get a house early-ish as the best places will go quickly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't move in with someone with bad hygiene, an alcohol problem, a love of loud house music, sociopathic tendencies and a predilection for urinating on the floor. It will end badly.I speak from personal experience.
Original post by Quantex
Don't move in with someone with bad hygiene, an alcohol problem, a love of loud house music, sociopathic tendencies and a predilection for urinating on the floor. It will end badly.I speak from personal experience.

Is this all the same person?
Reply 8
Original post by Quantex

a disposition for loud house music is the worse ._. imagine trying to revise
-Mixed gender houses tend to have the least arguments and drama I find, on both sides.

-If you're unsure if you trust someone don't live with them.

-if someone is irresponsible with money or in general, don't live with them (trust me, it could end up costing you money like it did for me)

-If you're into partying don't live with people who aren't if you're not going to be considerate with noise and vice versa don't live with heavy party goers if you hate noise.

-Don't move in with someone who doesn't even know how to use a washing machine or bother to wash things, your house will be a disgusting mess and you will hate it.

-Make sure whoever you choose to live with they are someone you can go to with a problem and they won't get defensive and will understand your point of view. Otherwise you may find yourself in a constant battle if someone isn't respecting your point of view or how their behaviour may affect others.

I made a mistake with every single one of those things, don't make my mistakes. I've loved living with some of my housemates, but on the other hand I've also been made quite miserable in several ways by a couple of them for varying reasons.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest