The Student Room Group

Help with A level subjects?

Hi guys, i'm picking my A level subjects but i can't decide between a few subjects. There are a few combination that i've narrowed it down to:

1) Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths
2)Chemistry, Biology, Physics, History
3)Chemistry, Biology, Maths, History

Tbh i think i want to go for the third combination because i really like history, but i haven't done it at GCSE so i don't know if I'll struggle with it. The head of history told me i'll be ok because i'm good at English though, since a B in english language is the only requirement.
Also, which do you think is better between maths and physics? I'm good at both but ive been told that maths is a safer option, especially since you can drop it after As and physics you can't (following A level reforms), but i think physics is a little more interesting.
If it helps, i want to go into medicine
Thankyouu :smile:
I would go with number 3. Maths would be helpful to do physics.
pick the second option if you find physics more interesting than maths.
pick the subjects you enjoy the most
I would go with the third option, I think it's essential to have maths accompanying chemistry and biology and history further shows a wider range of your skills etc :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Babs Posh
I would go with the third option, I think it's essential to have maths accompanying chemistry and biology and history further shows a wider range of your skills etc :smile:

Agreed but I'd be careful as to what the history course actually is.

They need to think about the units to be studied and their interested in them? I can almost guarantee they will not meet their target grade if they have no interest in the units to be studied.
Reply 5
First . Unless you really want to do history, then pick the third. But the first combination is the best.
Original post by iamayesha
Hi guys, i'm picking my A level subjects but i can't decide between a few subjects. There are a few combination that i've narrowed it down to:

Tbh i think i want to go for the third combination because i really like history, but i haven't done it at GCSE so i don't know if I'll struggle with it. The head of history told me i'll be ok because i'm good at English though, since a B in english language is the only requirement.
Also, which do you think is better between maths and physics? I'm good at both but ive been told that maths is a safer option, especially since you can drop it after As and physics you can't (following A level reforms), but i think physics is a little more interesting.

Any of those options would be fine. I'd just go for the two you prefer out of Maths, Physics, and History.

What medical schools are you thinking of?

Hi! First of all, Maths is really useful in any situation. However, I need to emphasize the importance of studying subjects you enjoy. It's easier to excel at a particular subject when you're passionate about it because it becomes more natural to recall information.
Reply 8
First is the best academically, but third is just as good. Physics without Maths won't go too well.
Reply 9
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Any of those options would be fine. I'd just go for the two you prefer out of Maths, Physics, and History.

What medical schools are you thinking of?

I'm not sure yet I haven't given that much thought
Do you recommend any?
I'm not sure yet I haven't given that much thought
Do you recommend any?

No, it's personal preference.

I was just asking since if you wanted to apply to Cambridge, it's probably a good idea to do Maths.
Reply 11
Original post by jamestg
Agreed but I'd be careful as to what the history course actually is.

They need to think about the units to be studied and their interested in them? I can almost guarantee they will not meet their target grade if they have no interest in the units to be studied.

Thanks, i'll consider that.
Reply 12
No, it's personal preference.

I was just asking since if you wanted to apply to Cambridge, it's probably a good idea to do Maths.

What makes you say that?
What makes you say that?

Cos one of the admissions tutors posted on TSR that the 3 most relevant subjects for medicine at cambridge are bio/chem/maths.

In general, as I said above, any of your 3 combinations would be fine, and just pick your 2 favourite/strongest subjects from Maths/Physics/History.
Reply 14
Cos one of the admissions tutors posted on TSR that the 3 most relevant subjects for medicine at cambridge are bio/chem/maths.

In general, as I said above, any of your 3 combinations would be fine, and just pick your 2 favourite/strongest subjects from Maths/Physics/History.

Oh, okay. Thankyou so much.

Quick Reply

Latest