Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm dropping out of uni and will be applying for a job in a fairly unrelated field. My employer is going to know that I dropped out (or at least, plan to discontinue the course once I get the job) so there's no point in pretending that it didn't happen.

I'm not planning on putting it under education, but rather reference it under 'skills' in a throwaway sentence in order so show my aptitude towards that particular skill, citing the fact that I have an A-Level in it as well as the fact that I was competent enough to take on a uni course on it. The wording would simply be "A-Level and partial degree course in the same subject, lots of experience designing...".

Would you say it's worth mentioning? If so, would "partial degree course" be the right wording. I obviously don't want to give the impression that I have a degree, but I do want to show the level I was capable of learning it at (despite A-Levels being far more challenging and informative!).

ReputationRep:
    Dropping out halfway through does not exactly demonstrate that you were capable of learning at that level.

Did you get an HND or anything?

ReputationRep:
    That's true, though I've been getting top grades on everything so far. Without trying to sound up myself, I'm pretty good at what I'm studying, but realise that completing the degree isn't going to get me anywhere I want to be. I was hoping to include a reference to it just to point out that I was good enough at it to be accepted into university and do well on the course. Obviously, I'm quite concerned about giving the wrong impression, but if they know anyway maybe it's worth mentioning?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gundog48)
    That's true, though I've been getting top grades on everything so far. Without trying to sound up myself, I'm pretty good at what I'm studying, but realise that completing the degree isn't going to get me anywhere I want to be. I was hoping to include a reference to it just to point out that I was good enough at it to be accepted into university and do well on the course. Obviously, I'm quite concerned about giving the wrong impression, but if they know anyway maybe it's worth mentioning?
    What year are you in?

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have a HND or something that you have actually earned I'd imagine all you will do is demonstrate you're unable to commit to things and follow through.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't even devote any part of your CV to it because it will appear shameful in all honesty. They may take it as a sign you lack commitment.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If OP has finished the first or second year, then they'll have either a CertHE or DipHE, both of which are perfectly fine to have on their CV.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.