Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So last year I was meant to sign a contract with my friends but things changed so I ended up taking over someone's tenancy on my own.

This person paid 1081 Summer retainer/Deposit and in the Ad that I responded to it stated that I didn't need to pay it back.

She's been messaging me since last September asking for it back, and stating that she posted multiple ads and the one I responded too was the only one that stated nothing had to be paid back.

My question is if I took over someones tenancy, do I have to pay back money because that's alot of money for me to pay and i'm not in the position like she is where Mummy and Daddy can pay for everything (She even started messaging my boyfriend and told him that her parents had paid it so it's not even her money!)

We asked the letting agent and the landlord if we could have something in writing stating that I had to pay her back and they each told us it was between me and her.

I was just always under the impression that if you drop out of accommodation because you drop out of Uni then you just lose what you've paid?

The contract states
    "You must continue to pay rent until you find a suitable tenant to take over."

ReputationRep:
    If you replied to an ad which said you didn't need to pay it back then that person has no leg to stand on.
    If the landlord/letting agent isnt asking for it, then youre fine.

ReputationRep:
    If the landlord isn't asking you for the money and the ad stated you didn't have to pay then don't give her the money for the retainer. You're right that any money she paid before you took over the tenancy is on her. It might be worth checking how the deposit will work as this should be protected for her and if you now have your own tenancy with your own contract you should have paid your own deposit.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I am aware, it's her problem. The deposit and rent is legally her responsibility and you haven't signed any contract saying you will give her money for a deposit. The landlord said it's between you two, so I am guessing she is just trying it on with you as she clearly needs the money. Don't give in to her pressure, I doubt she has a leg to stand on. Just ignore her, there is nothing she can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    So last year I was meant to sign a contract with my friends but things changed so I ended up taking over someone's tenancy on my own.
    My understanding was that you don't take over someone elses' tenancy, but that theirs ends and yours begins.

This person paid 1081 Summer retainer/Deposit and in the Ad that I responded to it stated that I didn't need to pay it back.
    Why would you need to pay someone else's deposit? Their deposit will be registered with a tenancy deposit scheme and only the landlord or scheme can release that money back to the tenant named.

She's been messaging me since last September asking for it back
    She needs to be messaging the deposit scheme

My question is if I took over someones tenancy, do I have to pay back money
    Her deposit is irrelevant to you, It's not registered under your name.

We asked the letting agent and the landlord if we could have something in writing stating that I had to pay her back and they each told us it was between me and her.
    Correct, but only because it sounds like both the agent and landlord are incompetent. They've effectively allowed you to move in without paying a deposit.

I was just always under the impression that if you drop out of accommodation because you drop out of Uni then you just lose what you've paid?
    Depends what's agreed with the landlord

The contract states
    "You must continue to pay rent until you find a suitable tenant to take over."
    It can't just state that. There must be a contract end date or break clause if it's a periodic tenancy agreement. Regardless; what's that got to do with a previous tenant trying to reclaim their deposit?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.