Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

5 A Levels? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I did those 5 and extra maths modules, STEP etc. and don't regret it.
    Your science exams will all have to be at the end of year 13. That being said, if you do A-level maths in year 12, you'll have fewer than I did in year 13, so it should be doable.

(Original post by thomas-cowley)
    Thanks everyone for your advice!

At my School Further Maths takes up two options (making it 5 overall).
    Chemistry is my least favorite, so I think I'll be removing that one. (Plus I only got an A at GCSE last year)
    Although if you're having doubts about chemistry you should think about dropping it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honeylooloo)
    5 alevels means you get NO free lessons.
    This depends on the school/college. At mine there were 6 blocks(so one free if you do 5) of 4.5 hours each and 2.5 hours a week off timetable for everyone, in addition to breaks.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Which A Levels are you taking?
    Maths, FM and comp sci

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wa originally going to do the same as what you want to but I now just do maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. I was determined to do all 5 but now I'm glad I didn't. It will seem like a good idea now but if you want to have a social life (or an unsociable one where you have at least a minute to yourself a day) then don't take 5. I get enough work as it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adeel Ali)
    Not as much of a life though. I'd consider doing three lol. I'm the lazy type though. If your really REALLY motivated then I say go for it. If you can't handle it in the first few weeks then you can always drop a subject..
    Lets agree to disagree then. My sixth form life was wonderful and I did 5 A levels

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing the same and I'm in year 12. It's totally doable (if you have no social life) though at the moment I'm self-teaching most of my FM and I'm getting worried right now as I'm pretty behind

So basically, go for it if you don't have to self teach anything (reading ahead of class is still fine though)

ReputationRep:
    if u r good at maths, then maths, further maths and physics should be straightforward-ish and won't need much revising

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxfsxh)
    Which A-Levels do you do? Sorry if I sound nosy, but It would be nice to know what subjects are effort requiring
    Further Maths (AS & A2)
    Maths
    Physics
    Computing
    History (I only took this in AS)
    STEP II & III

Not that I'm self teaching Further Maths AS and A2 this year (I'm in Y13) so I count that as 2.

I come home at 4 and spend my time till 9 - 10 studying every night pretty much since the beginning of the school year, I take most of Sunday off normally. I guess my schedule is kinda overkill but I want 98 UMS AVG this year.

ReputationRep:
    Similar situation to you OP. Our school is actually recommending only 3 A-levels, but as I'm an A* student I think I'll get away with 4 (leaning towards Maths, FM, Physics, Biology). Wanted to do the 5 sciences but esp. with new A-levels it's definitely not recommended, even 4 is pushing it. My advice would be to look closely at uni courses you're interested in now and sacrifice the least useful subject for those courses. (May seem like planning too far ahead, but with removal of AS you need to choose or at least think about it early...)

Have you considered buying a revision guide/textbook and self-teaching just so that you know the basics of the subject you choose not to take? I think I'll do that with Chemistry, as it's useful later on even if you don't take the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology should be quite manageable, as there's a lot of overlap between subjects. We cover almost all of the mechanics from maths in physics anyway, and people I know doing chemistry and biology find a lot of overlap too, as a lot of the organic chemistry is common to both. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and French, (all to A2) and find it quite manageable- I probably do 30-45 minutes of work at home a day, and averaged 95% overall last year (As in everything, 99% in maths). The other posters are right, you don't need to do five subjects to get into any university, but personally I think it's worth it if you enjoy them, because the knowledge and skills you learn are useful in themselves. Also, it keeps your options more open in the future, and generally it will impress people.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    For my GCSE options I took: Geography, German, Computer Science and P.E. No design subjects :/
    Oh, have you considered geography? It may be a good choice as it is a facilitating subject which means that it can keep your options open for you and is liked by universities. You should only go with what you are good at and what you like though, that is my best advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed)
    Lets agree to disagree then. My sixth form life was wonderful and I did 5 A levels
    You must love studying then. I do too. But not to the extent I'd rather study than play xP
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RonnieRJ)
    Just saying up until this year almost everyone did 4 and many people did 5 with further maths as well, lol it's nothing too special or uncommon

I did 6 ASs although didn't do FM (which I'm doing this year instead as self taught) and got As across the board. I'm lazy and didn't work till March. Sciences are v manageable lol
    Congratulations on doing so well yourself, these are very good grades, however some people won't find it as easy as you did and the A levels have got a lot harder recently. I think fewer people will do 5 or 4 subjects as time goes on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adeel Ali)
    You must love studying then. I do too. But not to the extent I'd rather study than play xP
    'Work hard, play harder' is the motto

There is a difference between interests in subjects and loving studying... and no one likes studying mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed)
    'Work hard, play harder' is the motto

There is a difference between interests in subjects and loving studying... and no one likes studying mate
    The ratio between work and play is too high when you do 5 subjects.

(Original post by Black Magic)
    Congratulations on doing so well yourself, these are very good grades, however some people won't find it as easy as you did and the A levels have got a lot harder recently. I think fewer people will do 5 or 4 subjects as time goes on.
    Thank you but I'm not really of any special capability and a ton of people on TSR could obtain similar grades with good time management and motivation. Especially sciences and maths, they're easily relatable to each other and easy to revise altogether

ReputationRep:
    I, personally, only take 3 A Levels (4 is the maximum at my college, and I know many places make you drop the 4th subject in the second year to allow for better grades.) I take two sciences and they are VERY demanding, the spec has changed for my year and so it's difficult without being able to do past papers and things like that. I wouldn't recommend 5, I know many people with 4 struggle with having time (unless they have a BTEC or two instead).
    It honestly depends on how dedicated you believe you can be to every subject. I often lack motivation when it comes to Biology and it pulls my other subjects down with it if I don't keep on top of my time management to keep that in mind!

ReputationRep:
    Im taking:
    maths
    physics
    chemistry
    biology
    spanish
    thinking skills

At first it is a bit difficult to make study times and needs compatible to each other, but eventually you´ll get organised. I recommend creating a study timetable according to the time you think certain subjects require the most. Also, if a teacher´s explanations don't quite suit you, you can make your study more effective by setting yourself tasks during lessons.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.