Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying for a Beng in mechanical engineering at surrey and have the option to do an extra year in order to receive a Meng in mechanical engineering. On the other hand however I have a desire to do a masters in economics instead. Would this be worth the extra year id most likely need to spend doing a diploma and would the masters in economics give me any extra benefits over the Meng when it comes to finding jobs in the finance sector. Doing a masters in economics would also be quite costly compared to the Meng as the Meng still counts as an undergraduate course, but if the benefits from an economics masters are great id be willing to do it regardless.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that studying economics at MSc level will be more beneficial to you than MEng mechanical engineering. The topics that you learn in MSc economics won't be that relevant to finance. I would say that it is better to do an MSc in Finance as it is more relevant to a financial career than economics or engineering. Or just do the MEng since its cheaper and shows that you have advanced numerical skills and problem solving skills which banks like.

There is no need for a specific degree subject, so you don't need to do an MSc in Finance even though it will give you some more knowledge and might show that you are passionate about finance. However, you learn everything on the job so no specific degree is needed.

Overall, I would say do the MEng and apply for internships in finance while you are doing it. Don't bother with the MSc economics degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.