The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust summer school?

Has anybody attended a sutton trust summer school? Just wondering what they are like as im thinking of attending the one in nottingham in july? I have quite bad anxiety though which stops me from wanting to get involved with the social activities/ food aspect and was wondering if they are compulsory? also are you allowed off site at any point? (e.g. into town) thanks!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

I've applied to Nottingham too! :smile:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I've applied to Nottingham too! :smile:

What course are you doing? :smile:
Original post by keiraholly123
What course are you doing? :smile:

Languages and Culture. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by keiraholly123
Has anybody attended a sutton trust summer school? Just wondering what they are like as im thinking of attending the one in nottingham in july? I have quite bad anxiety though which stops me from wanting to get involved with the social activities/ food aspect and was wondering if they are compulsory? also are you allowed off site at any point? (e.g. into town) thanks!

Hi,

I attended a sutton trust summer school at the University of Nottingham last year! I was on the medicine strand and I highly recommend that you apply to a summer school. You'll have so much fun and make such good friends. Not only is it something great to talk about in your personal statement but you also get a taster of university life to help you decide whether university is for you or not.
I know many people (including myself) who were really nervous about meeting new people, but it isn't as bad as you imagine. Everyone was so nice and you are made to feel welcome instantly. Also, there are ambassadors you can talk to, who were all friendly.
Unfortunately food I believe is compulsory but I think you may be able to get out of social activities if you really feel necessary. But, I highly recommend that if you go then you should just get involved as much as possible! We were not allowed of campus but maybe it may be different this year. It was an amazing experience and I wish I could do it again. So, just apply and take a leap of faith! I'm sure you won't regret it!

P.S. if you have any more questions feel free to ask! :smile:
Guys was it hard for you to get in? The application process seems quite long :/
Heya I went to the RVC summer school last year and it's safe to say it was one of the best ways to get to know people and have fun as well as confirm what universities you like. It's really nerve wracking travelling for hours to meet strangers but the summer school puts lots of activities in place for you to get to know a range of people! The content of the summer school was really relevant and we actually got to go sheep tipping which was awesome. If I was you I'd apply and if you don't get in then at least you can say you tried :smile: definitely recommended though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Danielleegolds
Heya I went to the RVC summer school last year and it's safe to say it was one of the best ways to get to know people and have fun as well as confirm what universities you like. It's really nerve wracking travelling for hours to meet strangers but the summer school puts lots of activities in place for you to get to know a range of people! The content of the summer school was really relevant and we actually got to go sheep tipping which was awesome. If I was you I'd apply and if you don't get in then at least you can say you tried :smile: definitely recommended though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope you don't mind me asking, what were your GCSEs grades and after the introduction how did they short list the students from 175 to 150 for the 1 week summer trip?
Original post by SWStokes
Hi,

I attended a sutton trust summer school at the University of Nottingham last year! I was on the medicine strand and I highly recommend that you apply to a summer school. You'll have so much fun and make such good friends. Not only is it something great to talk about in your personal statement but you also get a taster of university life to help you decide whether university is for you or not.
I know many people (including myself) who were really nervous about meeting new people, but it isn't as bad as you imagine. Everyone was so nice and you are made to feel welcome instantly. Also, there are ambassadors you can talk to, who were all friendly.

Thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by Cherry82
Hope you don't mind me asking, what were your GCSEs grades and after the introduction how did they short list the students from 175 to 150 for the 1 week summer trip?

My GCSE grades were 3A*'s, 4A's, 3B's and a C. I was entitled to free school meals and the 16-19 bursary as well as neither of my parents having gone to university before. Additionally my college is below the national average for A level results therefore I think this helped with my application. The Sutton Trust didn't let us know about any shortlisting, it was just an email with the confirmation of your application and then the university takes over and will keep in contact with you, letting you know when the deadline for replies is. I hope this helped! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest