Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I take things to heart too easily. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Me and my sister were at my GP's surgery - waiting for my mother to return. Me and her were seated in the waiting room. She was discussing her day with me, and occasionally we'd laugh. This continued - until at one point I started laughing hysterically. Which, I admit was maladjusted, unnecessary and did make me seem obstreperous.

However, a man - was mistaken - and thought that I was perhaps laughing at him. Which I understand. But, he decided to shout at me across the waiting room. He exclaimed:
    'I'm not looking at you, you're not Miss Universe.' I found this mortifying, so I responded with a mere 'Okay.' There were indeed others present, that all began to glare at me.

I sat in silence, until my mum returned. Whereupon the man approached her and accused my mum as a delinquent - who failed to raise her daughters correctly. One thing led to another, and an altercation came about.

Since I have returned home I am humiliated, upset and disappointed in myself for causing all of this. I was not prepared for a stranger to judge my physical appearance. I do know, and accept that I'm not attractive - but I do not see how that is related to the man's claim - neither how I should take it. I am distressed insofar that I don't wish to leave home again, apart from school obviously. I haven't spoke to my sister since either.

Please help...

ReputationRep:
    Everyone in there has probably forgotten that you exist already.

You are beautiful just the way you are, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, he was a stranger after all.

At most times when people are angry they say stuff they don't intentionally mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepewds_)
    Me and my sister were at my GP's surgery - waiting for my mother to return. Me and her were seated in the waiting room. She was discussing her day with me, and occasionally we'd laugh. This continued - until at one point I started laughing hysterically. Which, I admit was maladjusted, unnecessary and did make me seem obstreperous.

However, a man - was mistaken - and thought that I was perhaps laughing at him. Which I understand. But, he decided to shout at me across the waiting room. He exclaimed:
    'I'm not looking at you, you're not Miss Universe.' I found this mortifying, so I responded with a mere 'Okay.' There were indeed others present, that all began to glare at me.

I sat in silence, until my mum returned. Whereupon the man approached her and accused my mum as a delinquent - who failed to raise her daughters correctly. One thing led to another, and an altercation came about.

Since I have returned home I am humiliated, upset and disappointed in myself for causing all of this. I was not prepared for a stranger to judge my physical appearance. I do know, and accept that I'm not attractive - but I do not see how that is related to the man's claim - neither how I should take it. I am distressed insofar that I don't wish to leave home again, apart from school obviously. I haven't spoke to my sister since either.

Please help...
    That guy was just pissed because he thought you were laughing at him so he would say stuff to offend you. It is human nature- when you feel that someone is mocking you and bringing you down you are going to want to strike back.

He sounds like a *****.

So dont listen to the physical appearance insult as it was just said out of anger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rap11)
    That guy was just pissed because he thought you were laughing at him so he would say stuff to offend you. It is human nature- when you feel that someone is mocking you and bringing you down you are going to want to strike back.

He sounds like a *****.

So dont listen to the physical appearance insult as it was just said out of anger.
    Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really self conscious

When something humiliating happens to me in public, I sometimes wonder what the people will be thinking when they get home, and if they're thinking about whatever gaffe I made.

But they aren't. People forget things like this really quickly, so you shouldn't be worrying about what anyone else thinks of you

Also, I think he jumped the gun. Forget what he said. People are asshats sometimes - you're not at fault

Hope you feel better!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    I'm really self conscious

When something humiliating happens to me in public, I sometimes wonder what the people will be thinking when they get home, and if they're thinking about whatever gaffe I made.

But they aren't. People forget things like this really quickly, so you shouldn't be worrying about what anyone else thinks of you

Also, I think he jumped the gun. Forget what he said. People are asshats sometimes - you're not at fault

Hope you feel better!
    Thank you. Means a lot.

ReputationRep:

Please help...
    Aw you poor thing, cheer up. I'm sorry this has happened and he must have misunderstood but he was a **** . Don't let a **** head bring you down my friend, forget about it and move on... hope you're OK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awais_)
    Aw you poor thing, cheer up. I'm sorry this has happened and he must have misunderstood but he was a **** . Don't let a **** head bring you down my friend, forget about it and move on... hope you're OK.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. Means a lot.
    are you feeling better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    are you feeling better?
    Yes, somewhat. I hope to learn one day that these things don't matter.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, somewhat. I hope to learn one day that these things don't matter.
    Good! Forget about it and move on with your life - I guarantee everyone else in that room has

ReputationRep:
    he sounds like a **** tbh. I struggle with this sometimes and what helps me is imagining things from the other perspective. For example, sometimes I worry that people are judging what I look like and laughing at me. I think about what *I* do walking down the street and usually I am just thinking about all the **** I have to do today, what I will be having for dinner, something a friend said etc.... and it helps me realise that it's probably not happening and not a big deal. I don't know if this will help but it kinda helps me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    he sounds like a **** tbh. I struggle with this sometimes and what helps me is imagining things from the other perspective. For example, sometimes I worry that people are judging what I look like and laughing at me. I think about what *I* do walking down the street and usually I am just thinking about all the **** I have to do today, what I will be having for dinner, something a friend said etc.... and it helps me realise that it's probably not happening and not a big deal. I don't know if this will help but it kinda helps me
    This is really good advice. I do the same

ReputationRep:

Please help...
    He and everyone else has probably forgotten all about it and not given it a second thought while you're here being upset
    everyone does things like that sometimes it's okay that's how we learn, by being silly and stupid and being told to straighten up x'D
    I do think what he said was harsh though - but don't take it personally. I think he probably had a headache and was pissed off that someone was sitting there laughing really loudly - can't blame him

You know how it made you feel and now you know to judge your surroundings better, so don't beat yourself up over it it's just a small mistake and we all make them :3

*brofist*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed's Balls)
    Everyone in there has probably forgotten that you exist already.
    Hey honey.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.