Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying a healthcare course at uni but i'm thinking about a possible change in career and possibly going down the business route? I was wondering if its possible to get/apply for jobs in business even with a degree like mine? I know people say a degree is a degree, but is it just as plain as that?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amydiane)
    I'm currently studying a healthcare course at uni but i'm thinking about a possible change in career and possibly going down the business route? I was wondering if its possible to get/apply for jobs in business even with a degree like mine? I know people say a degree is a degree, but is it just as plain as that?
    Hi there. I saw this on an unanswered forum board and thought I could help.
    Change of career paths are common, so don't panic about it. My best advice is to go along to your Careers/Employability centre in the university. Staff there are trained in careers advice, and can point out some ways you can perhaps gain experience whilst you're still studying your course. Business is a vast area of study - and with a degree in healthcare you could look at businesses geared toward health (healthy eating and healthy choices are a huge market just now and health food shops/cafes etc. are booming!). Equally though, you could go away from it completely as again, it's a really diverse area.

What you should think about is the skills you need in the field you want to go in to - this is probably along the lines of communication, initiative, time management etc. All these skills you'll be picking up from your current study! It's all about how you demonstrate those skills in an application and interview. Again, your Careers service could help you there - at QMU out team offer mock interviews and give feedback on applications so you may find the same offered at your institution. Make an appointment to chat with them to see how they can help.

All the best
    Charlotte
    (Official QMU TSR Rep)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.