Advanced Higher English Watch

Gavin175
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey guys! I need the Advanced Higher questions for the Shakespeare section. Can anyone post them up on here please? It would be of most help!
Reverie.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Last year's? I think it was: discuss the nature of kingship in Hamlet and King Lear with reference to dramatic techniques used etc. or discuss the nature of kingship in Hamlet OR King Lear with reference to dramatic techniques used etc. As far as I can remember, there was a choice whether to do both or just one (they're stopping that sort of question from this year onwards though, I think).

This is just from my vague memory of the past paper, so maybe someone with the actual paper will be able to help more.
K.T.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Here they are:

2001;
Compare and contrast the portrayal of Cordeila and Ophelia in the plays.

2002;
a) "The time is out of joint. O cursed spite,
That ever I was born to set it right."

Analyse Hamlet's attitude to the role of avenger. How far does this contribute to the tragic outcome of the play?
b) Analyse the importance of the Gloucester sub-plot in King Lear.

2003;
Discuss Shakespeare's treatment of villainy in either one or both of the selected plays.

2004;
a) "There is special providence in the fall of a sparrow. If it be now, 'tis not to come. If it be not to come, it will be now. If it be not now, yet it will come. The readiness is all."
To what extent does this mark the turning point of Hamlet?
b) "As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods;
They kill us for their sport."

How important is this statement to the reading of King Lear as a whole?
c) Discuss the inevitability of tragedy in both plays.

2005;
"Tragedy does not derive from fatal flaws but fundemental flaws of the world."
How far is this view applicable to both plays?

2006;
a) Make a detailed examination of the treatment of kinship in Hamlet OR King Lear.
b) Compare and contrast treatments of kingship in both plays.

Oh, and good luck ^_^
Gavin175
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Thanks guys, seriously stressing now, i dont have a clue on either texts. Lol, ill just have to hope for a decent question.
K.T.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Awww *sympathy*
I'm always around for discussion, I like Shakespeare a little too much...

P.S. Vis a vis the exam question, there's not many topics that can come up, they've already covered a lot of them.
My school thinks it's going to be on family, 'what is a man' or possibly madness.
Reverie.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Madness would be good...or family actually. Here's to hoping!
Wootz
Report 11 years ago
how much are you guys learning for the exam.

our class did 2 williams plays
2 forster novels
18 heaney poems
6 coleridge...

so far im learning both plays and books and 4 heaney?

anyone doing the same things and hopes for questions?
Reverie.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
*cough* I'm kinda just really hoping for a Shakespeare question I can do. We did Edwin Morgan too, but I don't really know them well enough to write about. I think (okay, I hope) I'll be able to cope with whatever Shakespeare question comes up.

Is it normal to study that many texts? Or is it just my school that sticks to two writers?
Parker!
Report 11 years ago
haha it has hit 4pm the day before the exam and I'm just sitting down to learn my Austen.
That's all I'm learning.
It's Austen or death!
haha

We studied Austen, Coleridge and Duffy but I'm only learning Austen...

You can always squeeze something out of a question even if it's a really trashy one...
I pray oh dear god, do not ask me about irony, pleeeeeassse

Did you guys to creative folio or texual analysis?
Parker!
Report 11 years ago
Oh, Wootz, I was going to be doing Chemical Engineering at Strathclyde if medicine didn't want me.
Did you go to the applicants day where you got to play with water and see if sponges soaked up oil?
NeoNerd
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, Im in the same boat as quite a few of you... Im hoping for something good on the Shakespeare front, otherwise I have to revert to Thomas Hardy (shudder).
Reverie.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I did the folio (well, actually, I'm doing the folio as we speak :rolleyes:).

Why do you not want irony, Parker? I would have thought it was kinda a standard question to ask for Austen...

If Shakespeare goes pear-shaped, I may end up writing about Austen myself. Would be interesting and my teacher would have a fit!
Parker!
Report 11 years ago
Also, do you guys think it's true that most people who do AH English don't actually go on to do English but go on to do academic things of other sorts (Medicine, Law, Engineering etc.)
All the people I know who are going to do English at University didn't even take advanced higher...
Parker!
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, well I wouldn't like that question, I want a social question, one where I can harp on about society and the class system etc. I love when you get those kindof questions, such an opportunity to say whatever you know you write about best!
Reverie.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yah, it's good when a question you know you can do comes up. ;yes;

As for English at university, two people (out of 7, originally 15ish) in my AH class are actually doing English. Maybe three if I decide to do it... The rest of 'em vary from Architecture to cooking to Marine Biology to Law to Music to Art to History (so everything really!).
Parker!
Report 11 years ago
My Advanced Higher english class has three in it, last year there were two.
It's always an intimate class. I think that English is a much more challenging subject than say Chemistry or Biology and people are reluctant to take it further than they have to.
I will miss my AH class terribly
I applied for English Lit at Edinburgh, I would love to have gone and done it.
Alas, I want wealth.
Reverie.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm going to miss my class too, aww.

It's more challenging to do well in English than Bio. etc. in some ways 'cos I think it's easier to succeed in sciences if you're not naturally good at them (i.e. you can get so far by rote-learning and hard work), whereas in English a certain degree of talent is usually necessary. On the other hand, I think it's easier to blag it in English than sciences if you're good enough. I know even the best scientists I know at school also work hard; the same can't be said for all the English geniuses (like the guy in my class who wrote his dissertation in a day, and will probably get an A :rolleyes:).
Parker!
Report 11 years ago
Omg, are you in my class? haha
Yeah, but talent is much more precious than hard work, I'd say.
Not everyone has talent but everyone can work hard...
Obviously I'm not working hard because I'm spending the day before my exam on an internet forum... OCH ayyyyye min.
Reverie.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Lol, me too...though my notes are on the desk beside the computer, so it's okay! Plus, we're talking about the exam so it counts as revision (that's what I'm telling myself).
citizen_bryony
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i'm doing stevenson tomorrow and i know **** all about it , i have no other options 'cos my teachers **** and did half of king lear with us yesterday. to what extent can we wing it tomorrow? since i don't know it now i guess i never will!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.65%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.41%
No, but I want to start (265)
37.59%
No, I am unable to (167)
23.69%
No, I chose not to (195)
27.66%