Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I'm 21 and intend to start uni in September 2016 but I have no idea what to do about my financial situation.

I currently work and earn about 20K a year. I live with my parents by choice and pay them rent. They earn over the 70K maximum set by student finance.

My issue is that, while I live with my parents, I am currently a 'tenant'. I'm an adult with a job etc and I pay them to live at this house as if they were my landlords. So by that logic are my household earnings the 20K that I myself earn?And if so, should these earnings be included? As when I start uni I'll be forced to leave my job and essentially have no income.

If I am meant to include my parents’ earnings as they live in the same house as me then surely this will massively effect what I can get from student finance to cover my accommodation?

Should I move out briefly before going to uni? I have no idea what to do! Please help!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Moving out briefly won't make any difference. Have you been self supporting for the last 3 years?

ReputationRep:
    You can only be assessed independently of your parents if you have supported yourself financially for the past 3 years and can evidence this. What you will recieve will only be based on your income, or your parents. It won't be based on both together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    You can only be assessed independently of your parents if you have supported yourself financially for the past 3 years and can evidence this. What you will recieve will only be based on your income, or your parents. It won't be based on both together.
    I've been supporting myself for 2 years (It will be 4 months short of 3 years when I start in September).

So will what I get be based on the £20K I currently earn?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkMan48)
    I've been supporting myself for 2 years (It will be 4 months short of 3 years when I start in September).

Your student finance will be based on your parents income then - go on the SFE website and put your details into their calculator and it will tell you how much you will be entitled to.

ReputationRep:

As above, it has to be three full years before the start date of your course. If you go to uni this year, you will be assessed on your parents' income.

If you were to defer and build up another year of self support (earning a minimum of £7500 for each of those three years), then you will automatically get the maximum Maintenance Loan. SF assumes that anyone working full-time will give up work to study full-time, making their income zero for assessment purposes (unless they have things like interest on savings etc).

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Looks like I won't be able to afford to go to Uni then. I can't believe at 21 and after supporting myself for so long I will be offered a loan which wouldn't even cover my rent! Is it possible that you can get extra help if your parents most definitely will not support you?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Looks like I won't be able to afford to go to Uni then. I can't believe at 21 and after supporting myself for so long I will be offered a loan which wouldn't even cover my rent! Is it possible that you can get extra help if your parents most definitely will not support you?
    I wish there was, it's pathetic the way the system currently is!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im in the exact same situation just a year ahead. Lived with my parents paying rent (Ok it was only £100/month but still paying) decided to go to college/uni at 21, I earned a little less than you but in the same ballpark. Now my loan falls £100 short of my student halls rent every month and I'm living off of my savings and doing occasional weekend work. Its a ****ing nightmare. Seriously considering dropping out and taking a break for a year after my 1st year simply because I lack the money to continue studying full time. OR give up all my hobbies and be entirely depressed for the next 2-3 years.

I consulted the hardship fund at my college however they stated the same thing that SAS did; that If I where self supporting I would have to provide proof of living independantly (rental agreement/bank statement/bills etc etc) none of which I have.

Again my mother doesnt earn and I do not get along with my step father so the chances of me recieving any financial aid from parents is nowt.

Again another UK system which is completely devoid of personal merit.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. They only care about wheter your parents can support you or not. If you've been working for two years could you look at using any money you've saved in that time? Otherwise you're going to have to wait another year I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    That's ****ty CAElite! It feels wrong that I've worked so hard at my current job and if I do go to uni in september it will ultimately have been for nothing! Especially as I would be just 4 months short of the 3 year cut off date!

Does anyone know how you prove you've been supporting yourself? I gave my parents money before being at my current job but I was only working in a supermarket and paid them in cash. I'm not 100% sure at what point they'd class it as supporting yourself.

ReputationRep:
    That's ****ty CAElite! It feels wrong that I've worked so hard at my current job and if I do go to uni in september it will ultimately have been for nothing! Especially as I would be just 4 months short of the 3 year cut off date!

Does anyone know how you prove you've been supporting yourself? I gave my parents money before being at my current job but I was only working in a supermarket and paid them in cash. I'm not 100% sure at what point they'd class it as supporting yourself.
    In your situation, it's your income that matters. You just need to produce your payslips or end of year tax forms from your employer, to prove that you've earned a minimum of £7500 a year, for three full years before the start of your course.

Bear in mind that this nonsense is only delaying your uni start. If you can provide the above proof, then you can start uni in 2017. If that isn't feasible, then once you hit 25 you will automatically be assessed for SF as independent from your parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    In your situation, it's your income that matters. You just need to produce your payslips or end of year tax forms from your employer, to prove that you've earned a minimum of £7500 a year, for three full years before the start of your course.
    Klix88 (or anyone else) would I need the actual pay slips? I'm 99% sure I haven't kept my pay slips from early 2013. Would they be able to just check my earnings through HM Customs? Also would the three years count from the exact date my course started or when I apply for SF?

ReputationRep:
    Klix88 (or anyone else) would I need the actual pay slips? I'm 99% sure I haven't kept my pay slips from early 2013. Would they be able to just check my earnings through HM Customs?
    You'll need to provide the documents to SF, but you should be able to get a duplicate P60 for each financial year from HMRC.

Also would the three years count from the exact date my course started or when I apply for SF?
    It would have to be three full years before the start date of your course. e.g. If your official course start date is 27 Sep 2017, the three full years of earning £7,500 or more would run up to 26 Sep 2017. The date you apply for SF shouldn't make any difference.

As always, check this advice direct with SF before deciding what to do next.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.