Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE OCR Computing A453 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right, this coursework has been bugging me for the whole of the year so far and my teacher's pretty crap and doesn't know what he's doing, so I thought I'd ask on here as a last resort. Idea is that we create a quiz for students for 3 classes to be written to file and then read back in and outputted to the teacher, sorted alphabetically, by highest score and average score. That bit will be easy compared to the first part.

I'm on Task 3, and need to code the quiz so that only the last 3 recent scores are stored for each student, however being new to Python, I have no idea how to do. Tried StackOverflow however the code is too complex, anyone know how to solve this?

Btw, I write a list of lists to each class file, and each main list contains 2 nested lists, one for the name and the other for the score. If anyone can help me store the last 3 scores only, it'd be greatly appreciated and you'd be a life saver! Once I've coded this hard bit, I'm sorted for all coursework in all lessons. Thanks.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jagraj16)
    Right, this coursework has been bugging me for the whole of the year so far and my teacher's pretty crap and doesn't know what he's doing, so I thought I'd ask on here as a last resort. Idea is that we create a quiz for students for 3 classes to be written to file and then read back in and outputted to the teacher, sorted alphabetically, by highest score and average score. That bit will be easy compared to the first part.

I'm on Task 3, and need to code the quiz so that only the last 3 recent scores are stored for each student, however being new to Python, I have no idea how to do. Tried StackOverflow however the code is too complex, anyone know how to solve this?

Btw, I write a list of lists to each class file, and each main list contains 2 nested lists, one for the name and the other for the score. If anyone can help me store the last 3 scores only, it'd be greatly appreciated and you'd be a life saver! Once I've coded this hard bit, I'm sorted for all coursework in all lessons. Thanks.
    First thing is, DO NOT use StackOverflow where it has answers to the question for the CA your doing, that's cheating and if your teacher does find out you'll be disqualified for all exams you have with OCR. I have done the exact task in the past and can help in terms of giving you hints and useful resources which you can use to answer the question but what I can't do is give you the answer as that's cheating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTran38)
    First thing is, DO NOT use StackOverflow where it has answers to the question for the CA your doing, that's cheating and if your teacher does find out you'll be disqualified for all exams you have with OCR. I have done the exact task in the past and can help in terms of giving you hints and useful resources which you can use to answer the question but what I can't do is give you the answer as that's cheating.
    I've never used StackOverflow because a, I don't know how to use it very well, and b, I don't understand the code which means I won't be able to explain it either. :P That would be very much appreciated thank you, so what tips and useful resources can you give me? To be honest, I don't want a direct answer because that'd just be immoral, but I'd like some help as to what sort of code I should be using, where and when in the program too.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jagraj16)
    I've never used StackOverflow because a, I don't know how to use it very well, and b, I don't understand the code which means I won't be able to explain it either. :P That would be very much appreciated thank you, so what tips and useful resources can you give me? To be honest, I don't want a direct answer because that'd just be immoral, but I'd like some help as to what sort of code I should be using, where and when in the program too.
    PM me the question and I'll see what resources you can use.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.