Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's better to pick for my GCSE; History or Geography?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 8 (its a little early I know) but my school starts GCSEs really early. My options are coming up soon and I'm unsure of what to pick out of history and geography.
    The reason I can't just take both is because I've already decided on the subjects I'll be taking and that's the only one I'm conflicted about. Can anyone help? (eg from personal experience or opinion, not just a mindless suggestion)
    I've decided to take:
    Art
    Spanish
    Triple Science
    History? Geography?

It would also be helpful to get some advice on whether or not the other subjects are a good idea.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I took History and I love it, it's very factual and requires you to remember a lot, but if you're really interested you can find it an easy and enjoyable subject that allows you to learn about the past, and quite a few people in my class go home and read further on the things we learn because they're so interesting. You will usually learn about medicine through time, and the World Wars. I'm in Y11 and I'm taking it at A-Level because I enjoy it so much In Y8 we chose options too, I chose Spanish but within a week had swapped to History. (No regrets!)

A few of my friends took Geo, it consists of studying case studies and learning about mountains, natural disasters and rivers. Unless you want a career in Geography or you find it genuinely interesting, so many people have said how boring Geography is, but this is dependent on what you want.

I'm a bit biased in History, but I'd say take whichever you enjoy most, or the one you think will benefit you the most! Good luck with your other options

ReputationRep:
    They're both seen as equally prestigious on a CV but technically geography is the harder of the two.

I do geography and I love it, the coursework is slightly hefty but it is for history too, you will study three human topics and three physical topics and I love human geography it's really interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster.fm)
    I'm in year 8 (its a little early I know) but my school starts GCSEs really early. My options are coming up soon and I'm unsure of what to pick out of history and geography.
    The reason I can't just take both is because I've already decided on the subjects I'll be taking and that's the only one I'm conflicted about. Can anyone help? (eg from personal experience or opinion, not just a mindless suggestion)
    I've decided to take:
    Art
    Spanish
    Triple Science
    History? Geography?

It would also be helpful to get some advice on whether or not the other subjects are a good idea.
    Thanks
    I don't do History, but my personal experience with Geography is that it is only simple if you are willing to put the effort in it to learn the case studies and things like that.
    The bottom line is if you don't revise you will see D as your grade. For me i'm enjoying Geography even though my teacher is a little annoying. Also there are a lot of trips as well.

ReputationRep:
    I started my GCSEs in Year 9. Finished them and I'm currently in Year 13.
    I took geography and it is generally much easier than history, based on the opinions of some my friends who did both history and geography. I found geography easier than history before GCSE.
    It's not exactly the most exciting subject and I'll admit that history was more interesting for me before I decided to take geography GCSE. History is more essay based and analysing source material, whereas geography imo is more fact recall and analysing data. It depends on which exam board you do, but most people seem to do AQA, of which I found tectonics and human geography very interesting. The amount of case studies isn't excessive as you don't have to remember a huge amount of facts and dates.
    The coursework is a bit tedious, but it's easy. With geography, you get field trips and you don't with history.

It depends on where your strengths lie and which subjects interests you more. You could always switch if you don't like your chosen subject (if your school lets you).

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I would add or change about the above answers is that the case studies DO require a lot of memorising facts, at least for OCR. They're both great subjects (I took both) and I find them equally as challenging. Both seem to be a similar amount of work, perhaps a tad more for geography, but history is more about analysing sources and essay writing. Good luck!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.