Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OFFICIAL: GCSE AQA Chemistry - C1- Higher- 19th May 2016 - AM Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strongcurrent)
    whoops i did that wrong
    Lol I did too, didn't realise it said it was a Neon atom so I assumed 9 electrons was right...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishan_2000)
    Black Substance - I put smoke particulates and soot released by impurities in the hydrocarbon fuel.

Everyone is saying that it should be Carbon due to incomplete combustion?

Both credit-worthy?
    I put carbon from incomplete combustion but the soot seems similar so it should be right.

ReputationRep:
    Black - incomplete combusion (you could've wrote carbon zoot or carbon monoxide)

Copper oxide
    Thermal decomposition

ReputationRep:
    ez pz inb4 a D grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeldor711)
    I did it in pencil at first but changed it to pen after worrying that pencil wouldn't scan in properly. It should be fine though as long as you used an HB pencil

Something like:
    2Fe2O3+ 3C -> 4Fe + 2CO2
    The thought only dawned on me after they said 'pens down' even though I finished with a lot of time to spare I hope it gets scanned through because it does in maths

(Original post by Obnox)
    I put that you should put a lid on the beaker to stop energy getting lost to the surroundings
    Sounds good!

ReputationRep:
    I found the exam hard man

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Loved it
    Apart from the question about black stuff on the beaker?
    I thinks it's soot, which is formed from patriculates. Particulates are mostly carbon and you get them from burning fossile fuels

ReputationRep:
    for the iron/steel one:
    it is alloyed with steel, so layers don't slide over each other, makes it less brittle, more durable and more hard, and also less resistant to corrosion

is any of that right?

ReputationRep:
    What about that question with the potassium carbonate and why it didn't turn the limewater cloudy ? I put that the potassium carbonate wasn't thermally decomposed because it didn't reach its bp and so carbon dioxide wasn't produced making the lime water cloudy . We know that there was no thermal decomposition because no mass was lost . Do u think I'd get any marks for that ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys I have one here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post64945663

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else find that exam poet ridiculously short ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bakebe)
    I thinks it's soot, which is formed from patriculates. Particulates are mostly carbon and you get them from burning fossile fuels
    ah okay, so if I said "burnt carbon particulates from incomplete combustion" is that the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adzkii786)
    black - incomplete combusion (you could've wrote carbon zoot or carbon monoxide)

copper oxide
    thermal decomposition
    yes i said copper oxide someone said it was carbon on here, i was right and yes i wrote thermal decopoistion and said endothermic in brackets just to be secure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeldor711)
    I did it in pencil at first but changed it to pen after worrying that pencil wouldn't scan in properly. It should be fine though as long as you used an HB pencil

Something like:
    2Fe2O3+ 3C -> 4Fe + 2CO2
    Rip i put 2Fe2 not 4Fe

ReputationRep:
    Guys please can someone answer this !!!
    Okay so for the last 5 mark question instead of hardening I explained emulsifiers (I know I'm stupid for saying that)
    I said it is used as it makes food have a better texture and so on, do u think I would get some marks ?
    I also explained how double bonds turn into single bonds

ReputationRep:
    **** man I wrote carbon dioxide for it turning black ugsjshh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecomputernerd)
    for the iron/steel one:
    it is alloyed with steel, so layers don't slide over each other, makes it less brittle, more durable and more hard, and also less resistant to corrosion

is any of that right?
    You should get 2 marks for that, i put the it is more flexible, durable and harder than aluminium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ty19999)
    Okay so for the last 5 mark question instead of hardening I explained emulsifiers (I know I'm stupid for saying that)
    I said it is used as it makes food have a better texture and so on, do u think I would get some marks ?

HAHA, i wrote about protons and electrons for the 2nd first question so im more fed than u

ReputationRep:
    I put carbon as well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ty19999)
    I dont think you would get any marks for emulsifiers as the question asked why we hardened oils and how it was done. However, you should get some marks for explaining that the C=C bond is broken into a long chain.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.