Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I drop EPQ after Oxford? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I applied to Oxford for modern languages and got an offer. Nowhere in this offer does it mention EPQ as a condition. In the interviews it never came up once.

It is getting to the end and I have not done enough work because my topic is so rare and difficult to research. I have also become sick of it. My stress is building, and with the work i need to get the grades, I really do NOT want to put myself through this.

That said, this is Oxford, and I can't just tell them that. Even though they showed no interest in my EPQ, do you think that I can drop or do I have to carry through? Please answer quickly- I need to decide soon!!

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to decide, really, but you're probably best off sticking with it if you can, or you'd have to ring the college to tell them and there's a possibility your offer could be withdrawn, so it's probably not a good risk to take if you can possibly avoid it. I know people who have managed to get their EPQs done in a couple of weeks with some intense research/writing sessions, so if you could do it that way it shouldn't encroach an awful lot on your other subjects. (And don't forget, if you're struggling to find good sources then it's worth putting in the Production Log reflections to show project development/all that jazz.) What topic are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    If it's not a part of your offer then there's no way they can reject you for not having done it. Obviously it's worth finishing if you can but not if it's making you unhappy x

ReputationRep:
    Just email them saying you're considering dropping it bc it no longer interests you and ask if that will affect your offer in any way.

In the event that you have to keep it, the grade you get in it isn't of any consequence so just focus on your other subjects. Win/win

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.