Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

V923 - United Ireland/Northern Ireland Abolition Bill 2016 Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    19.57%
    On the contrary, No
    65.22%
    Abstain
    15.22%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    You miss the point I made, one man's terrorist could easily be seen as another as a freedom fighter, the IRA didn't grow in size after Bloody Sunday for just no reason after all
    So you endorse the actions of the Taliban, Al-Queda, ISIS etc?

There are three cases where terrorists are called freedom fighters/paramilitaries: when you support them, when you are trying to appease them, and when they are the ones writing the history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So you endorse the actions of the Taliban, Al-Queda, ISIS etc?

There are three cases where terrorists are called freedom fighters/paramilitaries: when you support them, when you are trying to appease them, and when they are the ones writing the history.
    Where did I say I personally consider the IRA freedom fighters, or endorse their actions? I said one man's terrorist could easily be seen by another as a freedom fighter, that is a statement, not my opinion on any group, I then went to show that clearly people must have felt this way given the IRA was a fairly large group, and it got bigger after events such as Bloody Sunday.

Also if you were to prosecute the IRA as you mentioned at one point, I'd want every paramilitary group prosecuted, not just the IRA, and I'd want every British soldier who fired a bullet at civilians during events such as Bloody Sunday prosecuted on the charge of attempted murder, unless it can be proved they did actually kill someone then it can be murder. You can't just prosecute one group when it's simply not that simple. However I wouldn't want any of them to hang, or be given any form of the death penalty.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Where did I say I personally consider the IRA freedom fighters, or endorse their actions? I said one man's terrorist could easily be seen by another as a freedom fighter, that is a statement, not my opinion on any group, I then went to show that clearly people must have felt this way given the IRA was a fairly large group, and it got bigger after events such as Bloody Sunday.

Also if you were to prosecute the IRA as you mentioned at one point, I'd want every paramilitary group prosecuted, not just the IRA, and I'd want every British soldier who fired a bullet at civilians during events such as Bloody Sunday prosecuted on the charge of attempted murder, unless it can be proved they did actually kill someone then it can be murder. You can't just prosecute one group when it's simply not that simple. However I wouldn't want any of them to hang, or be given any form of the death penalty.
    All terrorists, both republican and loyalist should be locked up/executed, and a quick read on bloody sunday suggests it would be difficult to prosecute every soldier to fire a shot, for a start the first lot of shootings would have the CO court martialed but probably not the soldiers themselves.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Never Never Never a thousand times NAY
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Closed for reasons yet unknown, this thread has been reopened. Let voting continue on as normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Closed for reasons yet unknown, this thread has been reopened. Let voting continue on as normal.
    #conspiracy
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Ayes to the right: 9
    Noes to the left: 30
    Abstain: 7

The Noes have it! The Noes have it. Unlock.

Turnout: 92%

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.