Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I take this job? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's 25 hours a week min wage for at least 6 months doing admin.

It's a supported environment for disabled people. I have disabilities which make it hard for me to gain mainstream employment.

I'm torn. On the one hand, I've been told to run my money down so that I can be housed away from my parents as the home situation is awful. On the other, this job might lead somewhere.

I already have £27,000 and PIP full rate coming in for my disability, so if I stay with my parents and take this job, then other jobs (fingers crossed) I might be able to buy my own flat eventually. Saving up wouldn't be too hard as I live rent-free and hate travelling and most other expensive things.

Might beat the uncertainty of renting and receiving housing benefit and other benefits which could be cut by a future government.

On the other hand, my mental health problems are quite severe so it could be that I take this job, end up with slightly more money at the end of it and am then in the same mess living with mum and dad with nobody employing me.

This job is sort of a charity job. I'm very grateful for the offer and think I will take it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)

It's a supported environment for disabled people. I have disabilities which make it hard for me to gain mainstream employment.

I'm torn. On the one hand, I've been told to run my money down so that I can be housed away from my parents as the home situation is awful. On the other, this job might lead somewhere.

I already have £27,000 and PIP full rate coming in for my disability, so if I stay with my parents and take this job, then other jobs (fingers crossed) I might be able to buy my own flat eventually. Saving up wouldn't be too hard as I live rent-free and hate travelling and most other expensive things.

Might beat the uncertainty of renting and receiving housing benefit and other benefits which could be cut by a future government.

On the other hand, my mental health problems are quite severe so it could be that I take this job, end up with slightly more money at the end of it and am then in the same mess living with mum and dad with nobody employing me.

This job is sort of a charity job. I'm very grateful for the offer and think I will take it.
    Read the first line and concluded, NO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Read the first line and concluded, NO
    haha but I'm a uni dropout with severe and enduring mental health problems and autism.

this job could get me on the road to saving up for my own flat...might not sound much to you, but it could change my life to some degree.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    haha but I'm a uni dropout with severe and enduring mental health problems and autism.

this job could get me on the road to saving up for my own flat...might not sound much to you, but it could change my life to some degree.
    Whatare your mental health problems exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Whatare your mental health problems exactly?
    schizophrenia, depression and social phobia

ReputationRep:
    Just take it, its good to have the experience on your cv and you can look for something else in the mean time.

ReputationRep:

I think it is a good idea
    you will have something on your CV

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I think it is a good idea
    you will have something on your CV
    Think I'll take it

ReputationRep:
    Think I'll take it
    If you do I hope it all works out for you.
    All the best

ReputationRep:

It sounds good to me. If you think you can cope with the job then I think you should take it up

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.