Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

when to stop reading a book? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm reading Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon.

I'm finding it hard to follow. I'm on page 140 and sort of know the main characters and roughly what's going on, but there's so much detail and he keeps moving about etc and I'm finding the story hard to follow.

Should I give up and read some lighter authors, maybe coming back to Pynchon when I'm better read?

I imagine Inherent Vice is considered one of his more accessible books, but I'm finding it hard to follow.

ReputationRep:
    If you're finding it so hard, my advice would be to try reading some other books and come back to it in, say a month or so and take it from the top. Perhaps it would be useful to write a few notes on each character and what happens to/involving them, so if you get confused you can just review the notes and you should have a much better understanding of what's happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)
    I'm reading Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon.

I'm finding it hard to follow. I'm on page 140 and sort of know the main characters and roughly what's going on, but there's so much detail and he keeps moving about etc and I'm finding the story hard to follow.

Should I give up and read some lighter authors, maybe coming back to Pynchon when I'm better read?

I imagine Inherent Vice is considered one of his more accessible books, but I'm finding it hard to follow.
    It's up to you entirely. It might be better to read some other things and go back to it but by doing that you might end up forgetting what is going on in the plot, unless you plan on the starting the book again when you go back to read it
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Consider the opportunity cost. Would you rather be reading something you actually enjoy? I have probably started and not finished a thousand books in my life and that's fine. Don't force yourself to read fiction that you are not enjoying. Pynchon is known to be hard going and there is certainly no shame in deciding that right now it isn't fore you. As others have said, you can always come back to it later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Consider the opportunity cost. Would you rather be reading something you actually enjoy? I have probably started and not finished a thousand books in my life and that's fine. Don't force yourself to read fiction that you are not enjoying. Pynchon is known to be hard going and there is certainly no shame in deciding that right now it isn't fore you. As others have said, you can always come back to it later.
    That is true. It must be said that I gave up on reading Great Expectations halfway through because I was simply not enjoying it anymore.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatusStarbright)
    That is true. It must be said that I gave up on reading Great Expectations halfway through because I was simply not enjoying it anymore.
    Whereas I read it in a couple of days and really enjoyed it. Horses for courses. Reading - especially fiction - should be a pleasurable thing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.