Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feedback on my new website? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    sortbydislikes.com is a project I've been working on for a few days. It allows you to input a youtube channel and displays that channel's most disliked videos (in terms of percentage of dislikes, it also shows you the videos with likes disabled), I thought this would be an interesting exercise as many popular youtubers have a certain viewpoint which isn't very popular.

Once you search a youtuber, if their channel isn't already in the database it will be added (this takes a few minutes, maybe longer depending on how many channels are in the queue). At the moment only videos with 30% or more of dislikes are added to the database.

It would be really useful to get some feedback on this and any improvements that could be made. Thanks!

EDIT: looks like I'm going to have to multithread the hell out of this, so many channel index requests already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabberjay_)
    sortbydislikes.com is a project I've been working on for a few days. It allows you to input a youtube channel and displays that channel's most disliked videos (in terms of percentage of dislikes, it also shows you the videos with likes disabled), I thought this would be an interesting exercise as many popular youtubers have a certain viewpoint which isn't very popular.

Once you search a youtuber, if their channel isn't already in the database it will be added (this takes a few minutes, maybe longer depending on how many channels are in the queue).

Be sure to let me know what you think of it, and any improvements that could be made.
    This will be amazing when everything's indexed and doesn't return "nothing controversial here".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    This will be amazing when everything's indexed and doesn't return "nothing controversial here".
    Yea, once most of the main channels get indexed it will make the experience smoother. The "nothing controversial here" thing comes up when a channel has no videos which have more than 30% dislikes.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

Once you search a youtuber, if their channel isn't already in the database it will be added (this takes a few minutes, maybe longer depending on how many channels are in the queue). At the moment only videos with 30% or more of dislikes are added to the database.

It would be really useful to get some feedback on this and any improvements that could be made. Thanks!
    Really nice! Looks like VeganGains is already in the database.. Unsurprising to see so much red. Cool work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jooooshy)
    Really nice! Looks like VeganGains is already in the database.. Unsurprising to see so much red. Cool work
    Thanks, vegan gains was one of the first channels I tested it with, haha.

ReputationRep:
    would be useful if you could hyperlink the videos in! Just a suggestion, but otherwise its really cool and easy to use

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honeylooloo)
    would be useful if you could hyperlink the videos in! Just a suggestion, but otherwise its really cool and easy to use
    If you click the video title it will redirect you to the video, though I should probably make the styling a bit more obvious.

ReputationRep:
    oops sorry, I was clicking on the screencap of the video instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honeylooloo)
    oops sorry, I was clicking on the screencap of the video instead.
    I've added that in, just for good measure.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It looks very professional and neat! (I used Justin Bieber's channel to test it :lol: ).

ReputationRep:
    yaaaas

ReputationRep:
    Nice interface, but I dislike the generic/old font

http://puu.sh/mAJKG/711aa2764e.jpg

Try something a bit more modern/contemporary?

ReputationRep:
    V interesting, obviously not all in there as some has now been added.

Would be useful to not just see when 30% over dislikes though - like PewDiePie has none come up, presume as none that disliked, but would be curious to see most disliked anyway..

Perhaps an overall 'most disliked' youtubers when more is indexed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Nice interface, but I dislike the generic/old font

http://puu.sh/mAJKG/711aa2764e.jpg

Try something a bit more modern/contemporary?
    Fair point, I only considered the font for the title. I'll do some experimenting.

ReputationRep:
    Fair point, I only considered the font for the title. I'll do some experimenting.
    Sounds good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inazuma)
    V interesting, obviously not all in there as some has now been added.

Would be useful to not just see when 30% over dislikes though - like PewDiePie has none come up, presume as none that disliked, but would be curious to see most disliked anyway..

Perhaps an overall 'most disliked' youtubers when more is indexed?
    Yea I think a most-disliked youtubers section or a list of the most disliked videos would be pretty cool. The only problem with the 30% thing is that if its reduced too much then I'll end up indexing tons of videos very quickly, but its something I can play around with.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, vegan gains was one of the first channels I tested it with, haha.
    I can't think of a better test case, the guy is notorious! It would also be cool if we could choose to whether to display the results in ascending/descending order

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jooooshy)
    I can't think of a better test case, the guy is notorious! It would also be cool if we could choose to whether to display the results in ascending/descending order
    What do you mean by display results in asc/desc order, surely the whole point is that they're shown in percentage likes descending?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty nice - very functional.

I think it'd really benefit from a flat design in the future - just suits the feature. But definitely something for when it's 100% finished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaz W)
    Pretty nice - very functional.

I think it'd really benefit from a flat design in the future - just suits the feature. But definitely something for when it's 100% finished.
    Thanks, design is definitely something to work on. On a side note someone posted this on reddit and its going crazy, thousands of pageviews. https://redd.it/41phyb If anyone is interested.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.