BruhBru
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I wish to be involved in investment banking when I am older and am currently studying 4 AS Levels, English lit, Computer Science, History and Economics. When looking at universities to do accounting and finance many of them require an A-Level in mathematics which I do not have. This has caused me to be extremely worried about my future, however I am doing some one weeks work experience in July at a relatively small investment bank which I got through a friend's parent, this makes me feel a bit less stressed about if I ever can get involved in the industry. Do you guys feel I have a chance or if I can't do accounting and finance it will never happen? Finally, did any of manage to get a job at an investment bank straight out of college/sixth form or did you have to have a degree? Thank you in advance for any responses.
Commercial Paper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BruhBru)
Hi, I wish to be involved in investment banking when I am older and am currently studying 4 AS Levels, English lit, Computer Science, History and Economics. When looking at universities to do accounting and finance many of them require an A-Level in mathematics which I do not have. This has caused me to be extremely worried about my future, however I am doing some one weeks work experience in July at a relatively small investment bank which I got through a friend's parent, this makes me feel a bit less stressed about if I ever can get involved in the industry. Do you guys feel I have a chance or if I can't do accounting and finance it will never happen? Finally, did any of manage to get a job at an investment bank straight out of college/sixth form or did you have to have a degree? Thank you in advance for any responses.
You're worrying too much.

You're mostly doing traditional subjects so this is not a problem.

All investment banks accept a wide variety of degrees (you don't have to do finance and/or accounting) so this will not be a problem for IB recruitment.

Your aim should be to get into a target university by getting top A Level grades.

You will struggle to get accepted onto a finance/accounting/economics course at a target university without mathematics so you can:

A) do another A Level in mathematics or
B) study something else at degree level which will still facilitate a job in IB since they accept a wide variety of subjects.

You cannot get any big money roles in a major investment bank straight from school/college - you must have a degree. Some investment banks will recruit in the form of apprenticeships and the like for roles within technology and operations, but not front office.

For front office you should get a degree at a target university and whilst in college go to insight programmes so you can get further insight. Once at university, apply for spring weeks in your first year, summer analyst internship in your second year and then a graduate offer should follow from this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BruhBru
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by will2348)
You're worrying too much.

You're mostly doing traditional subjects so this is not a problem.

All investment banks accept a wide variety of degrees (you don't have to do finance and/or accounting) so this will not be a problem for IB recruitment.

Your aim should be to get into a target university by getting top A Level grades.

You will struggle to get accepted onto a finance/accounting/economics course at a target university without mathematics so you can:

A) do another A Level in mathematics or
B) study something else at degree level which will still facilitate a job in IB since they accept a wide variety of subjects.

You cannot get any big money roles in a major investment bank straight from school/college - you must have a degree. Some investment banks will recruit in the form of apprenticeships and the like for roles within technology and operations, but not front office.

For front office you should get a degree at a target university and whilst in college go to insight programmes so you can get further insight. Once at university, apply for spring weeks in your first year, summer analyst internship in your second year and then a graduate offer should follow from this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the reply. I guess that I will have to study something else at degree level, you say that they accept a variety of subjects, do you know where I can find a list or do you know them personally?
Commercial Paper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BruhBru)
Thanks for the reply. I guess that I will have to study something else at degree level, you say that they accept a variety of subjects, do you know where I can find a list or do you know them personally?
Sure, there isn't really an 'official' list exactly but speak to any graduate recruitment officer and publicly they will tell you they accept all range of degrees. Banks like diversity because they believe it brings different perspectives, different thoughts/ideas etc. and ultimately this is good for their clients.

Privately, however, there is definitely a bias towards more traditional subjects. And ideally quantitative subjects. However it depends on bank/division.

You might want to think about this carefully. For example, generally for trading positions there is a bias in recruitment for more quantitative subjects - you can break in with other degrees but it is harder. For the advisory side so mergers and acquisitions (M&A), capital raising, initial public offerings, debt offerings etc. this side of the business they are more laid back with degree choice.

You should expect to be questioned on this though so saying you picked your degree because you didn't do Mathematics at A Level is not an acceptable answer to that question. And if you haven't done anything quantitative, you will be tested lightly on this unless you can demonstrate elsewhere on your application where you did something quantitative (won a competition, interned in a role that involves numbers etc.)

Example of quantitative subjects banks like: Physics, Economics, Accounting & Finance, PPE (Philosophy, Politics & Economics), Maths & Stats etc.

Examples of traditional subjects banks like: History, Geography, Philosophy, English Lit etc.

Examples of whacky subjects banks recruit from but are less preferable: Music, Art etc.

In short, sure they recruit all degrees but it is harder with a less relevant degree. It's nothing that can't be compensated for though by sufficient strengths in other areas of your application.

Also, double check, because some universities may have courses that are similar to Economics etc. that don't require A Level Mathematics or they may have extra catch-up sessions or some form of arrangement like that. I'm sure I've seen Accounting & Finance degrees which are not overly strict on the A Level Math thing at top universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.33%
I'm not sure (8)
2.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.33%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.33%
I'm not a current university student (136)
45.33%

Watched Threads